Each week over 1.5 million subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them with The Economist app.
Free to download. New users can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. Users on iOS 10.2 or below will need to update their phone to access the app. Otherwise The Economist classic app is available to enjoy our weekly edition.
Already a subscriber? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist details.
The Economist is a trusted, independent, finishable filter on world affairs, offering in-depth analysis of business, finance, economics, science, technology, arts and culture. Whether it’s the latest developments in the Trump administration, the rise of automation in the workplace, the economic impact of environmental change or the case for legalising drugs, The Economist has it covered.
• A morning briefing to prepare you for the day ahead (Economist Espresso)
• A daily selection of curated articles, combining news updates with highlights from the weekly issue
• Full access to the weekly edition of The Economist (digital and audio versions)
As well as full access to the weekly edition, the app includes additional daily updates with articles from Economist.com along with Economist Espresso, a morning briefing highlighting the most important things you need to know each day. All of the articles from the weekly magazine are available to listen to in audio, along with selected daily updates
FREE TO DOWNLOAD
Full app features:
• The weekly edition available every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Daily Picks: a daily selection of curated articles
• Economist Espresso: a morning briefing published every weekday, and on Saturday
• Notifications of the latest cover stories and key articles
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarking to allow users to save articles for later, or create their own collection
• Support for iPhone and iPad
• All users on iOS 11.2 or above can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. At the end of the introductory term, the subscription will automatically renew onto a quarterly subscription at the standard price
• Annual subscriptions are also available
You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Introductory offers, annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours before the end of the current period, at a cost of £44.99/$45.99/€69.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £159.99/$189.99/€229.99 (for an annual subscription)
• You can manage auto-renewal of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again
This version includes many major bug fixes and improvements to the user experience:
- Images load more quickly and more reliably
- Many bugs are now fixed in the audio player, including a bug where the audio restarted randomly
- The navigation bar is now at the top of an article rather than at the bottom
- Bookmarks now refresh reliably
Ratings and Reviews
SIR- The new app is simply excellent. The rewrite has succeeded in transforming the app from a digital version of the weekly newspaper into a full fledged source of news, catering not only to the times I feel like reading in-depth analysis from the issue’s front to back. The linked articles at the end of each article allow me to wander around and read based on topic even if the linked articles are from a previous issue. The in-built espresso function is also appreciated, creating another mode of news consumption that will again serve as a jumping off point to further reading.
Excellent app, but...
I absolutely love the redesign and consolidation of the various economist apps into one. The only issue I’m having is the ability to access the current edition on Friday morning (central-time USA reader here) - though it shows that there is a new “current edition”, it sometimes takes upwards of thirty minutes for the app to properly register the new edition. Whenever I tap it, it just takes me back to last week’s release. Also, the auto-download feature of the new audio doesn’t seem to ever work for me.
Other than those minor inconveniences, I have no complaints! Keep up the great work and reporting!
A big improvement over previous version
(NB: I am and have long been a big fan of the content from the Economist. This review concerns only the apps from this publication, specifically on iPad)
When the Economist recently (I think back in 2017) “updated” their app, moving from paginated articles to more trendy, endlessly scrolling articles, I thought it was a huge step in the wrong direction. It looked like a cheap, generic app, with many bugs and shoddy UI. For instance, there was no way to jump to another section in one week’s issue, and bookmarking was confusing.
I still miss pagination on iPad (call me old fashioned but I think this is the best way to present magazine articles), but this new app version is a vast improvement. Better look, better UI, easy bookmarks that sync between iPad and iPhone. Jump to sections easily. Daily content in addition to the weekly issues. Easy audio downloads.
With that said, I highly recommend this app.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 53 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Three month subscription $55.99
- One year subscription $189.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.