The curriculum includes reading, language, writing, math, social-emotional development, problem-solving skills, and motor development. Open-ended activities and games like drawing, storytelling, and coloring encourage creativity and self-expression. And colorful main characters will guide children through the learning experience, keeping them engaged on their educational journey.
Khan Academy Kids includes thousands of interactive activities for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners that are aligned with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework and Common Core Standards.
Let the joyful learning begin!
• 5 stars from Common Sense Media, 5 stars Educational Value, 5 stars Ease of Play
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design from Children's Technology Review: 100% Rating
• Reading and literacy—phonics, the alphabet, spelling, and early writing.
• Language—vocabulary, opposites, prepositions, and verbs.
• Math—counting, numbers, addition, subtraction, shapes, and measuring.
• Executive function and logic—focus, memory, and problem-solving.
PERSONALIZED LEARNING EXPERIENCE
• Adaptive learning path allows each child to learn at their own pace.
• Learn independently in the Library—a collection of activities, books, and videos.
• Kids can read books on their own or follow along with recorded audio narration.
• Five whimsical characters encourage children to think and learn.
• Highly interactive games and activities.
• Kids can collect fun bugs, hats, and toys as they learn.
EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
• Social-emotional—relationships, self-control, and empathy.
• Motor and physical development—gross and fine motor skills, health and nutrition.
• Creative expression—drawing, storytelling, and coloring.
CREATED BY A TEAM OF EXPERTS
• Developed in collaboration with experts at the Stanford Graduate School of Education
• Aligns with Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework and Common Core Standards.
• Original content from Super Simple Songs®, Bellwether Media, and National Geographic Young Explorer Magazine
• View child’s progress on activities and topics in the Library.
• Read books with your child.
• Engage in learning activities and co-play with your child.
• Set up multiple children in the Parent Section.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with the mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We support teachers’ efforts to help every child succeed with personalized practice. We help students develop the skills, habits, and mindsets for success in school and beyond. Khan Academy has been translated into dozens of languages, and 15 million people around the globe learn on Khan Academy every month. For more information, visit khankids.org.
ABOUT SUPER SIMPLE SONGS®
Skyship Entertainment™ is the creator of the beloved children’s brand, Super Simple™. Their award-winning Super Simple Songs® combines delightful animation and puppetry with original and classic kids’ songs to help make learning simple and fun. With over 10 billion views and 10 million subscribers on YouTube, their songs and videos are favorites with parents, teachers, and kids around the globe.
We’d love to hear from you. Please visit us at khanacademykids.org or drop us a line at email@example.com.
Thank you for learning with Khan Academy Kids! This release includes iPhone X optimization and bug fixes. We value your input, so please continue to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy learning!
Ratings and Reviews
My kids love it!
This is perfect for my 4.5yo. There are so many activities, and I love how it automatically moves through a variety of disciplines rather than just always sending the child back to the main menu. My kids usually find one section of an app and then hang out there until they’re bored with the app, whereas this keeps things moving along and therefore keeps them interested. My 6yo is already a good reader, but it’s a nice review for her. She enjoys the songs and also the huge book section where she can read the page and then listen to the narrator if there are any tough words. I would love to see a more advanced parental panel in the future. We homeschool and use the regular Khan Academy for math and grammar, so I’d love to see a parental panel along those lines here. Either way, keep up the great work!
Not well done
App is confusing and buggy.
An example of confusion: they used an existing YT video where bears roll off the bed, and the kid is supposed to count the number of bears. Khan lazily fast forwards the video. So it starts out with “10 bears” but the video is FF, and you hear “1 fell out” but there are now 6 bears left. So the kid may think “10 - 1 is 9” and chooses 9 (which is an option!) and now the kid it confused.
Another example is when dragging and dropping in boxes. PBS Kids is liberal with this. Khan seems to require exactness and if the center of mass of the object isn’t inside the square, it tells the kid they are wrong.
It is buggy mostly in that it requires an internet connection. There have been login issues (why do you need to log in? Why? There is no rationale I can think of. I thought Khan was a nonprofit?). When switching between modes like reading and logic it has to wait for a server response or something. Why have an app? The point of apps was to take advantage of the mobile device. Instead this is just a web site masquerading as an app.
I feel ultimately the app developers and PMs just didn’t do well here. Instead of creating a bunch of mediocre activities in a mediocre “app” they should have built a great app experience with excellent content and added more excellent content every week or two.
We appreciate the feedback. Khan Kids requires a login so that students can log into the app from different devices and not have to start over on their Learning Path each time. Each student has a personalized path, depending on their mastery of different topics. An internet connection is required because we will frequently publish new lessons, and the curriculum includes thousands of lessons for each age (2-5). The app would be prohibitively large if it included everything in the initial download.
We are always looking for ways to improve the app. If you have any follow up questions, we'd be happy to elaborate through email@example.com.
Yes our two favorite things together!
I downloaded this app just happy to have a free progressive learning app, but what I found was our favorite songs mixed into a great learning app. If your child loves super simple songs you are going to love this app! All the games and activities are based on different songs from the super simple song group! Best of all the books they have actually highlight each word as it’s read. I can’t tell you how many book or academy apps I’ve tried and have been so disappointed with because it lacks that simple function! This is a free app so if your child wants to have fun, sing silly songs, read and learn simply then you have no excuse for not downloading this app!
Way to go Khan and Super Simple Songs!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.