● Write the math expression with your finger or Apple Pencil.
● MathKey will convert your handwriting to :
- LaTeX/MathML expression for Pages, Numbers, Word and any LaTeX/MathML compatible app.
- image for any other app that is compatible with images.
● Remote Keyboard : connect MathKey to your computer via our website and paste generated content right on your computer !
● Pick any color for both LaTeX, MathML and image output. You can save up to 20 colors.
● When converting to an image, paste it from the pasteboard or, on an iPad, drag-and-drop it.
● MathKey is powered by MyScript © Interactive Ink state-of-the-art technology.
● Dark & Light themes.
- An Internet connectivity is mandatory.
- Quotas may be imposed in case of abusive use.
- Although MyScript © Interactive Ink technology is very reliable, results are not guaranteed.
- Apple Pencil works only with compatible iPad.
- MathKey is a keyboard.
This update fixes the use of MathKey with a Smart Keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard. If MathKey doesn't appear with your physical keyboard, long press the arrow at the right if there is any or press the Eject key if you have one.
● Version 1.3 ●
- Supports 2nd generation Apple Pencil double-tap feature : you can easily switch between the pen and the eraser or display the color picker.
- Supports new iPad Pro 11 inch display.
- Pencil Lock : automatically disable finger input while writing with an Apple Pencil.
- MathML support : choose between LaTeX and MathML in the app's settings.
- Better support of WolframAlpha® with an option removing spaces.
- New installation tutorial.
Ratings and Reviews
Missing a crucial feature...
I like the concept of this keyboard, and as far as handwriting recognition with the Apple pencil goes, it is pretty accurate, though not as accurate as MyScript Nebo, which is a standalone app. MyScript Nebo will recognize my handwriting even if I write sloppy, whereas with this app, I have to make sure I’m writing slower and more neatly, which makes it less efficient.
Most importantly, the main reason I bought this keyboard was to input MULTI-line expressions in the form of images, like you can in MyScript Nebo, into Word and PowerPoint documents. As far as I can tell, there is no way to do this with this keyboard. Anytime I attempt to write more than one line it bunches the expression together into one long line with multiple equal signs. Very irritating. I have to input each line separately, which is time consuming and defeats the purpose of me getting this app to begin with. If the developer can add this feature, that would be great. Looks like I have to go back to using MyScript Nebo in multitasking mode in the meantime...
Developer Response ,
Edit : multi-line equations are now properly rendered. I would love if you could update your review ! Enjoy using MathKey.
Thank you for your review.
I am currently working on a fix for multi-line equation images. No update will be required and it should work by the end of the week.
As of recognition being better on Nebo, I will have to run some tests and may be do some adjustments. It should be as efficient as Nebo as it relies on the same engine.
If you have other suggestions, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Makes equation writing so much more accessible
I have been using Latex for a long time, but lately only sporadically. That means I have to look things up a lot to find the proper commands. This app makes writing equations so much easier. No more wasting time to find what to type in Latex to generate the proper result.
The app’s writing recognition is very good, but not infallible. However, since the app’s keyboard allows me to individually delete parts of the input and redraw them in a more readable manner, this is not a big issue in practice.
The part that was a real nice surprise was the app’s ability to recognize multi line equations. Most others I have tried turn that into a fraction of some sort.
The remote keyboard connection is a welcome addition. While I think I could manage with copy and paste between iPad and Mac, having the ability to draw equations in full screen mode on my iPad and have the results appear on the desktop makes it really easy to work with, especially since that’s where I usually need my equations.
A really great app that makes good use of the iPad combined with the pencil
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your amazing review ! I’m glad that MathKey helps you be more productive.
Feel free to email me at email@example.com if you have any suggestions.
Exactly what I’ve been looking for.
I use Notability for all my note-taking needs. Notability is a great app that is missing one key feature— OCR for math symbols and equations. MathKey bridges that gap handily.
It’s a bit awkward to learn to use at first, but I found that once you’re past that first learning curve, that it is quite intuitive.
The one feature I wish it had that it does not, is transparent background for the ‘image’ paste mode (this is all I use for Notability). This quibble is minor enough, however, that the app still earns 5 stars from me.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your great review.
Actually, images are rendered with a transparent background. I have not tested it in Notability but it should work as expected. If it’s not, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with an example (a screen recording is perfect).
- Nicolas Dalbard
- 55.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Nicolas Dalbard
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.