Gmail - email by Google: secure, fast & organized
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The official Gmail app brings the best of Gmail to your iPhone or iPad with real-time notifications, multiple account support and search that works across all your mail.
With the Gmail app, you can:
- Undo Send, to prevent embarrassing mistakes
- Switch between multiple accounts
- Get notified of new mail fast, with notification center, badge and lock screen options
- Search your mail faster with instant results, predictions as you type & spelling suggestions
- Swipe to archive/delete, to quickly clear out your inbox
- Read your mail with threaded conversations
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Google contacts or your phone
- Respond to Google Calendar invites right from the app
- Organize your mail by archiving, labeling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Send and receive attachments
- See profile pictures as part of the conversation
What's New in Version 5.0.9
- Hide sender images in your inbox (in settings)
- Swipe right/left to view the previous/next message
- Choose your preferred browser (Safari or Chrome) for opening links (in settings)
- Edit text in line or copy-paste content from the web while keeping the original text formatting
- Select multiple messages: tap on the sender image or checkbox next to the messages
- Mark as read/unread: select the message and tap the ‘open/closed envelope’ icon in the top toolbar
New update restored key features!
When Gmail came out with an update about a month ago or so, I was very disappointed and frustrated because it seemed like they had removed several of the most practical features. I could no longer swipe between messages, or swipe messages in the inbox to delete them, and links in emails were defaulting to open in Safari instead of Chrome. But in the last month it seems that Google/Gmail came through with the corrections! Each of these features has been restored! Thanks!
I had the keep a star for two things that are still lacking in the app. One is that I would like to see a "Block Sender" feature like the one in the desktop Gmail. The spam button isn't always enough. Secondly, why is it that when multiple messages are selected, as soon as you do one action (i.e.: marking several messages as read) it unchecks everything that was previously selected? It means that you have to go through and check everything again if you want to do another action (i.e.: moving the messages to a different folder). That's another really annoying fault. Please fix.
OK, this is my third attempt to write a review - I keep getting the message "this nickname is taken, try again" and then it deletes everything I have written. I guess you really want to hear from your users, hmm?
I will try one more time, then will probably change my email back to AOL.
A few months ago, I lost the ability to print emails from my Gmail app on both my iPad and iPhone. I used to be able to do this easily by hitting the Send To icon which looked like a square with an arrow in the upper right of my screen. Then it simply disappeared and I have been unable to figure out how to print emails since. I have tried troubleshooting it myself online, tried online forums to see what others have done about this problem, and finally called Google support. The Google rep was useless and basically said, not my problem, it must be the AOL iOS system! Seriously? It's YOUR app.
Anyways, this is a big problem for me and if it doesn't get fixed soon, I will be forced to try another email app that allows me to print. What's up, Google??
Slowly bouncing back...
Jan 2017: THANKFULLY gmail has restored the main functionalities that were previously extremely inconvenient (old review below). However, still only four stars because you cannot open links within the app...you have to move to a browser. If only that feature will be added, 5 stars it'll be!
[Dec 2016: The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because of it's functions...or lack there of! The one thing I HATE and is a huge inconvenience is that you can no longer swipe from one message to another?! You have to go back to the inbox and click on new, unread messages...as a college student who gets upwards of 15+ emails a day, I depended on the old Gmail to allow me to quickly swipe and read from one email to the next. It was so much faster and easier to manipulate! Please add this feature back!!!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 19, 2016
- Version: 5.0.9
- Size: 201 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2016 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.