*** Minipedia has been nominated one of the "Best New Apps" by Apple in February 2014 in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria !*** Download today.
Minipedia is a fast and simple way to access Wikipedia® articles using your iPod, iPhone or iPad without a network connection.
→ Includes full article text, formulas and tables!
→ 10.000 articles free
→ Install mulitple languages at the same time
→ Supports iOS8 and iOS7
→ Loads images when an internet connection is available
→ Fast & intelligent fuzzy search
## No Network Connection required
No Signal? Don't worry! No matter where you are, with Minipedia you'll have a whole encyclopedia right at your fingertips.
Minipedia works offline and provides access to complete article texts, formulas and, of course, tables!
*Important:* You must have access to wireless local area network (WiFi) for downloading databases.
## Most Viewed Articles
Don't waste your precious space on your mobile device for non-relevant articles. Minipedia provides offline access for the most important ones.
Minipedia, with a database of articles much smaller than the entire online Wikipedia, provides intelligent searching based on the popularity of the article.
## Math Formulas and Tables included!
Very few Wiki Readers have the capability of correctly displaying math formulas, nor do they include Wikipedia tables (the images and fact summary in a column on the right edge of a Wikipedia web page). This feature can also be a great time saver, as users can quickly extract the necessary information from the table, rather than reading the article.
Unfortunately, images are not included in minipedia. They simply take up to much space on your device.
## Search as you Type!
Searching for articles is extremely fast. Right when you type the first letter, you will see the first matches!
Search Wikipedia articles the Intelligent Way:
For example, a search for "Mark" on Wikipedia returns "Marketing" as the first item in the drop-down results list. A search for "Mark" on Minipedia returns "Mark Zuckerberg" as the top result, a more relevant answer for most users. Minipedia's intelligent search returns both results that begin with and results that contain "Mark," (e.g., Mark Zuckerberg, Mark Wahlberg, Denmark, Affiliate Marketing, Marketing, Mark Twain, Mark Hamill, Mark Ruffalo, and Trademark). Searches frequently end before the entire word has been entered.
By comparison, Wikipedia provides these more proper, but less relevant results: Marketing, Mark Twain, Market, Market Town, Mark Antony, Marks & Spencer, Mark Knowles, and Mark Woodford.
## Multiple Languages
Need German and English at the same time? No Problem! The language is not tied to the language settings of your device, you can have several languages simultaneously.
# Want to say Thank You?
Leaving a rating for our app is the most appreciated form of saying "thank you"!
# We make Minipedia better, every day!
We're always excited to hear from you so if you have any feedback on how we can make this the best Offline Wikipedia App in town please send us an email!
With more than 500,000 downloads worldwide and a cumulative rating of 4.25 stars, Minipedia has been praised by reviewers and users alike. We are very proud of Minipedia for iOS, and we invite every iOS owner to download this wonderful, free reference app.
- Improved math formula display on older devices
- Changed age rating to 12+
- Updated store description
Ratings and Reviews
Good and bad. Free is good. Paying is ......
As an app, it is good. They update the app. From the usability/cost, it is poor. The free part has certain articles. No way to add or look for individual articles for free. You have to purchase a pack. To be fair, the program does tell you which one you have to buy. However, many of the articles I am interested in fall into the XL section for $9.99. To have other languages, you have to buy them too up to $9.99. There is no info if I get updated wiki data for this price or even the date of the data given. Feedback on their site that says their wiki data is old. I compared some of the articles given and found them to be older information, too. I already have an offline wiki app that does not have updated wiki dumps, but that app allows manual updating and saves the data for offline use. This does not. I would not mind paying and giving 4 star rating if the offline data dumps are updated and clarified when they are updated. For example, the last time my other app data can be updated is December 2013.
I bought the $10 plan. I've enjoyed it. Here's some suggestions:
1. When I open a table (say countries of the world and their populations) the back button is at the top of the screen. Then to go back to the last article the back button is at the bottom of the screen. They should be the same, or better yet there shouldn't be buttons, see #2.
2. Swipe left and right should be forward and back like in safari. That way I can confidently click on links and get back to where I was. The menu/search can be accessed from the menu button, or a dedicated search gesture perhaps.
3. Going back should go back to the same location in the article you clicked away from, not the top of the article.
4. The image placeholders are kind of ugly. That's nitpicky I know.
5. The search page should start with the box in the middle of the screen, like the google app so I don't have to reach my thumb all the way up to set the cursor.
6. Random page or suggested page would be nice. I open the app when I'm bored then I have to think of somethign to search for.
English XXL Updated October 2015
In case anyone's curious about how up to date this is, the English XXL dataset updated just this past October. It's not in the release notes because they don't need to release a new version with a simple dataset update. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a notification for when an update is released for those that have already purchased it. So, if you've already got it on your device, delete and re-download. Lots of new stuff (3.2GB vs the previous 2.8GB)!
- Minipedia UG (haftungsbeschr?nkt)
- 32 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2015 Minipedia UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)
- In-App Purchases
- English (XXL) $9.99
- English (XL) $5.99
- English (L) $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.