FLIGHT THREATS ("FT") is an APP for pilots. NEW of its kind! It has been designed by a current B737 NG airline captain to help pilots improve flight threats' "awareness" and flight management.
As of SEPT 2015 it has been downloaded by pilots from all around the world (e.g. US, Italy, France, Russia, Denmark, UK, South Africa, Australia, Malta, Colombia, Ukraine, and many others).
FT is to be used before or during each trip to analyze and manage your flight. It is easy and practical. Every pilot can use FLIGHT THREATS. From student pilots making their first flights to senior airline captains.
Briefly, here's how it works (you can learn more on the APP tutorial):
1. You open the APP and get started by defining the departure and arrival airports.
2. Then, you the can download METARs and TAFs using SMART METAF©. This feature automatically highlights significant weather on METARs and TAFs so that you can quickly and easily identify environmental THREATS (e.g. FG, TS, wind over 25 KTS, etc.).
3. After analyzing weather, you review other key aspects of your flight by running the FLIGHT FAMILIARIZATION checklist included in the REVIEW YOUR FLIGHT SECTION. This step is used to help you make flight planning decisions (e.g. route selection, fuel load, altitude, alternates, etc.).
4. Then, identify the main risks of your flight by running the THREATS IDENTIFICATION tool. Here you may select different threats such as "crew threats" (e.g. fatigue, low experience, emotional or physical issues, etc.), "weather and environmental threats" (e.g. terrain, TS, FG, etc.), risks related with approach procedures, "ATC and airports" issues, etc.
5. Finally, besides developing your own strategies and taking your own measures to deal with the identified threats, you may check FT’s suggested reactive actions.
The idea behind the APP is that the whole process should help you consciously and methodically build a mental map of your flight and store it in the back of your mind. Repeated use of FT should help you build and maintain flight discipline, improve threat awareness and aeronautical decision making, and ultimately collaborate towards the safety and management of your flights.
Notice: METAR and TAF information provided by NOAA National Weather Service (see http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/) as reference only, use official weather sources for your flights.
Updated cloud connectivity information. Streamlines account login / logout.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.