Apple TV Remote
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Apple TV Remote is a great companion to Apple TV, delivering the best of the Siri Remote. With Apple TV Remote, you’ll never need to put down your iPhone or iPad to enjoy Apple TV. Control Apple TV with a swipe of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly enter text. And you can use the app along with the Siri Remote.
• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
• Quickly enter text, email addresses, and passwords using the keyboard
• Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to, or play
• Control the movie, TV show, or song that’s currently playing
• View song lyrics, change music tracks, and select movie chapters
• Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
• Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls
• Use volume buttons on your iOS device to control volume
• iOS devices using iOS 9.3.2 or later
• Wi-Fi connection to Apple TV
• Apple TV (4th generation), using tvOS 9.2.1 or later
• Apple TV (3rd generation), using Apple TV Software 7.2.1
• Apple TV (2nd generation), using Apple TV Software 6.2.1
• Certain Now Playing features, including lyrics, playlists, and chapter, audio, and captions selection for movies and TV shows, require iOS 10.3 or later and tvOS 10.2 or later
• Volume control requires an AV receiver with CEC support
Siri requires Apple TV (4th generation) and availability varies by country and language.
What's New in Version 1.2.2
This update includes bug fixes.
Frustratingly difficult to use
When I first open the app, it usually takes a few minutes for it to connect to my apple TV even though they're both on the same network. Sometimes it takes so long that I have to close the app and reopen it a few times before it finally connects.
The second thing that annoys me is that there are very few buttons. This works okay with an actual remote which has grooves and is more sensitive, but not with an iPhone which is slick and doesn't "click" like a button would. It's next to impossible for me to fast forward, rewind, and turn on subtitles when I'm watching TV. Functionality over visuals. I don't care what the remote looks like, I'm watching TV. I just want it to work so I can focus on my show!
The only saving grace is that having the app means I don't have to buy a new remote or batteries. I guess you get what you pay for.
Update: Even when the apple TV is on and in use, the remote app can't connect. I was trying to pause and couldn't. This is ridiculous.
Works Well, When it Works
I love that this app mimics the Apple TV (A8 chip), minus the volume button. Personally, it would be nice to add a volume button.
The does not work all the time, which can be very frustrating. So far, working versus not working is 50/50 for me. Since Apple’s focus is to operate almost all electronic devices through iPhone, and being that TV is a part of most of our daily lives, it would be best, I think, to invest quite a bit of time to improve this app.
In conclusion, this app has lots of potential and works wonderful, when it works.
I love the remote app. I’ve had it for quite awhile. I would give this 5 stars if I were able to name each device ie: bedroom, living room, etc... We have 4 Apple TVs 2 are gen 3s and 2 are gen 4s. We have no idea which we are turning on. Sometimes you get lucky but most times you don’t and you end up turning on a tv three rooms down the hall. It would be nice to be able to name each device.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Dec 04, 2017
- Version: 1.2.2
- Size: 12.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2016-2017 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.