This stunningly beautiful app is like having a virtual art set right inside your iPad. Paint and draw via the photo realistic interface with tools that look and feel incredibly like the real thing.
Art Set gives an alternative to complex and mechanical like paint apps for all to enjoy - artist or not! But simplicity comes without sacrificing quality, from pens to pencils, paints to pastels, each has been carefully crafted to produce natural results in real time.
The incredibly realistic 3D textured oil paint gives amazing thick gloopy strokes or thin delicate detail via a range of virtual brushes of various size and shape. Adjust paint loading and thinners to change texture and opacity.
Sparkle and glow with special metallic and fluorescent colours. Build up subtle tones and textures with chalks, charcoal, oil pastels, wax crayons, graphite pencils, coloured pencils and marker pens. Add fine detail via multitouch pinch and zoom. Choose from different paper colours and textures, or import your own photos.
The blending tools give you many ways to mix and smudge colour around on the canvas with varying effects. Create anything from smooth gentle gradients to roughly textured scratches and splatters.
New features only in the Pro version :
- incredibly realistic new paint engine
- colour blends as you paint
- paint takes on texture of the canvas or paper
- simulation keeps track of wet paint on the canvas
- adjustable paint load on your brush
- exhaustible paint, runs out whilst painting
- add thinners to control paint opacity
- set of virtual paint brushes of various shapes and sizes
- create custom colours by mixing, ensuring harmonious palettes
- colour picker to sample direct from the canvas
- user editable palette to store and arrange your custom colours
- dry brush blending
- auto / manual brush cleaning and loading, allows dirty brush effects
- more papers and canvases from old cardboard, raw canvas, graph, squared and isometric paper
- charcoal stick
- fine artists chalk
- paint pens for opaque colour
- 3 grades of graphite pencil 3B,HB,3H
- oil pastels that blend on canvas
- Apple Pencil pressure and tilt control
Features from Art Set
- thick 3D textured oil paint
- five blending tools
- metallic colours sparkle and shine
- fluorescent colours that glow and dazzle
- zoom and pan for fine detail
- High resolution canvas on retina screens at near 4 Mega pixels (1728 x 2304)
- import your own photos and images
- export to your photo album, email or social networks
- virtual pressure sensitivity
- unlimited undo
- real time high performance
Art Set - Pro Edition is a wonderfully creative addition to any iPad!
Ratings and Reviews
Not What I Hoped
I never write reviews, but I am making an exception here. If you are looking for yet another competitor to Procreate, then this is your app. It’ filled with all the window switching gadgets to define your chosen tool and more.
That said, if you are a visual artist used to the real tools of charcoal, watercolor, oils etc. and you’re looking to use those on your iPad, the old Art Set Pro Edition was the best on the market to give you complete but simple digital art tools. When I heard they were updating Art Set Pro my only need for improvement was that they would allow the user to arrange their work in the gallery according to date or what ever the user decided. Right now it’s a hodge-podge with no apparent user organizing available. I tried contacting the developer but they did not reply.
I purchased the additional 9.99 needed to unlock all the features in this brand new edition. My disappointment continued, the papers available are no where near as creative or real, and it continues to become more complicated with more choices.
Lastly, the presentation is no longer a cool artist’s art box but rather the same cold modern look of any graphic design software.
LOFOPI, please don’t ever remove your old Art Set Pro Edition. It serves a community based in old school art and is irreplaceable. Maybe just consider a way to organize the gallery, maybe dragging the images to a desired place.
Still best for teachers
I use this app not to teach people how to paint, though I could. No, this is the app I start professional artists in because it emulates the real thing best. Including only having one layer.
I love that brushes run out of paint and that rags and tortillons can be used as well. My favorite as in life are the oils and oil bars. Beautiful blending! And it prints onto a rag paper like a gorgeous mono print/archival pigment prints.
While I would like watercolors it might be fun to simply do a new separate app for that. And maybe make one all encompassing app for just oil and oil bar. I would gladly re-buy this app for just that! Frankly I. Just glad you made the ios11 jump and would buy this again just for that. I have so far taught 12 artists using and buying this app, many more just buying and they in their turn have. Thank you!
Split Screen capability with the iPad
Just addressing an older review that laments the lack of split screen capability with this app. I discovered that the iPad itself has split screen capability that you can use with this app. When in the app, grab the photo app (or whichever you choose) from the dock and swipe it over to the side. You can easily swipe the reference pic in and out as needed.
As a beginning painter, I do love this app because I can make all my mistakes digitally before putting brush to canvas. Also really love the oil paints in here; I get that “art store happy place” feeling when contemplating the oil paints available. The brushes handle well. Very happy with this app. For the future, limited layer functionality would be helpful.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.