By Optime Software LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Play the classic game of Backgammon on your iPhone or iPod Touch for free!
Backgammon Free is the best free Backgammon app available for iOS.
Backgammon Free supports both 1 player and 2 player gameplay, so you can play against friends or test your skills against a challenging computer opponent.
Backgammon Free includes a host of exciting features, including:
• Outstanding AI with three difficulty levels
• Highlighting of possible moves
• One touch or double touch move entry
• Match play to a configurable number of points
• Undo function
• Configurable player names and score tracking
• Automatic save when you exit or suspend the app
• Great graphics and awesome sound effects
If you've been looking for a great Backgammon app for your iPhone or iPod Touch, look no further. Download Backgammon Free today!
What's New in Version 1.50
* Minor bug fixes
I love Backgammon and your game is great. However, I do have a couple of suggestions:
I usually play 'one player' against the computer.
1. Toward the end of the game when all chips are being moved in to their respective home bases for removal from the board, the computer moves all of its chips to the #1 & 2 positions before removing any chip. That means that I win the game more often than I should. It is frustrating to win too often. If the computer played like most people, it would not move any chips that are in home base unless it was necessary for strategic maneuvering. It is not just unnecessary and a waste of time. It is frustrating, irritating & has a negative, impersonal connotation.
2. With all due respect, will you please consider including a pop up box that asks whether the winning player would like the computer to automatically complete the game. When the game is nearing its end and it is obvious who will win the game, it would be very nice if a pop up box opened to ask if I wanted to auto finish the game. I really like having that feature in other games! It helps to prevent players' boredom and frustration with the game.
P.S. The game is not rigged, nor does it cheat!! I am not affiliated with the game or it's manufacturer/owner but I am offended by these remarks posted as a review! Didn't your mamma tell you that if you could not say something nice then say nothing at all?!?!?! Shame on you!
I give it three stars for being a good "time waster."I've read the reviews where people complain that the computer seems to get the right roll at the right time. I don't think the game is rigged (wonder that myself sometimes) but there is a problem with its random number generator. I've noticed several patterns with rolls. Doubles seem to come in threes with double fours dominating especially when the computer is in position to move pieces off the board. It works both ways but seems to occur more with the computer. Repeats of rolls are common for example, I'll roll three 1-2's out of five rolls of the dice. And, I almost always roll double 6s late in the game when I'm on the bar and the can't move off because the space is occupied. Again, I've noticed these scenarios in patterns and think that the developers need to fix the random number generator.
Cllcrk- Not Cheating
Either Cllcrk (see comment below) is the Kasparov of backgammon or he works for the maker of this game. Granted, when you select the "hard" option it should be more difficult, but the maddening thing about this game is that it seems to win not based on skill, but just perfectly-timed, perfectly-numbered rolls. The number of times I've watched the computer roll double after double to win the game is absurd. What drives us human players crazy is the sense that it is out of our control quite often, that our actions have little affect on the outcome of the game. I wish there was another game with the aesthetic appeal of this version, but unfortunately the creators got that part done well.
So Cllcrk, go write a book about the magic of the 5 spot and the ease of this game. The rest of us will continue focusing on not throwing our phones against the wall when the computer rolls another set of doubles to win the game (after you just doubled down of course.)
- Category: Games
- Updated: Feb 03, 2014
- Version: 1.50
- Size: 39.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Optime Software LLC
- © 2013 Optime Software LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.