Better Bacon: Chef Recipes & How to Make Your Own
By Open Air Publishing
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“Part cookbook, part DIY guide, it is an iPad app that will help you cook the most delicious bacon you’ve ever had.”—LIFEHACKER
From pig to plate, upgrade your bacon. Watch 20 video tutorials from master butcher Tom Mylan on how to make your own, and then dip into 31 original recipes from the top bacon-obsessed chefs in North America. You can even learn the history of bacon while preparing your own delicious cured pork.
► Watch our short trailer video at Betterbook.com/BACON
THE PRESS ARE EATING IT UP! (sorry, couldn't resist)
•• TIME OUT NY “With its stunning visuals and smart layout, this bacon-lover’s bible offers a glimpse into how tablets are reinventing the cookbook genre.”
•• CBS NEWS “I was mesmerized from start to finish while watching Tom Mylan demonstrate the process of where each cut of pork comes from.”
•• COOL HUNTING “Ramp up your cured meat game… Open Air has upped its game in this app, including a feature to allow users to zoom into pig parts.”
•• APPADVICE “Those familiar with the developer’s other apps will know how easy this app is to navigate... If you love bacon (and why wouldn’t you?), reach down into your bacon wallet and buy this app.”
•• VICE “We are happy to see that Tom Mylan and Ari Weinzweig have come together to smash pure pig skin down into tiny ones and zeros to create the no-BS app that stands as the definitive place for all things concerning bacon.”
•• GIZMODO “This week's best apps for iPad.”
THE EXPERT BUTCHER
• Tom Mylan
Tom is co-founder and executive butcher of The Meat Hook, a Brooklyn-based supplier to many of NYC’s top restaurants that specializes in local, sustainable meat. Tom has written for New York magazine, Gourmet.com, and TheAtlantic.com, and he is a former editor of Diner Journal magazine. He makes 150 pounds of bacon a week.
20 HD VIDEO TUTORIALS
Tom Mylan teaches you how to choose the best cuts of pork, mix your own custom cure, and make five delicious types of bacon:
• Slab bacon
• Face bacon
• Canadian bacon
BACON RECIPES FROM TOP CHEFS
Bacon is not just for breakfast. Make it an integral part of your lunch, dinner, snacks and even desserts and cocktails. With 31 recipes from bacon-obsessed chefs and bartenders across the USA and Canada, including:
• Heather Carlucci, Print, NYC
• Michael Scelfo, Russell House Tavern, Boston
• Stephen Collucci, Colicchio & Sons, NYC
• Paul Kahan, The Publican, Chicago
• Daniel Holzman and Michael Chernow, The Meatball Shop, NYC
• Tom Mylan, The Meat Hook, Brooklyn
• Fred Morin, Joe Beef, Montreal
• Marco Canora, Terroir, NYC
• Linton Hopkins, Holeman & Finch Public House, Atlanta
• Zakary Pelaccio, Fatty ‘Cue, NYC
• Stephanie Izard, Girl & The Goat, Chicago
• Gerard Craft, Taste, St. Louis
• Johnathan Sundstrom, Lark, Seattle
• Sean Brock, Husk, Charleston
• David Bull, Congress, Austin
• David Katz, Mémé, Philadelphia
• Bryce Gilmore, Barley Swine, Austin
DIY HOME BACON HACKS
• HOME SMOKER — Step-by-step guide and detailed video on how to make a home smoker to smoke your own meat
• BACON-INFUSED COCKTAILS — Learn how to infuse bacon into spirits like bourbon, rye, and kahlua (yes!)
BACON BUYING GUIDE
• Zingerman’s co-founder, Ari Weinzweig, curates a list of the highest quality bacon that can be delivered straight to your doorstep. Made in the USA at select sustainable local farms.
What's New in Version 3.5.3
► iOS7 bug fixes and updates!
► If you've learned something from this book app, please tap the app icon and then tap "Ratings and Reviews" to share the love. We love hearing from our readers!
Exvellent for beginners and experts
This is well written, clear, not intimidating, and filled with photos that have clickable items for more detail if you require further explanations. It shows how to build your own smoker very cheaply, and explains some basic principles in a simple and friendly way. Love this app.
Breezy style, no substance
It's short. I'll give it that. And I guess if I were inclined to cure and smoke my own bacon, this might be a good place to start. But if you're looking for any practical advice about how to choose the best bacon in the grocery store, how to cook it so that it's crisp and not burned, how to microwave it, you won't find that here. The recipes look dreadful - overly complex, difficult, and not all that promising from a taste standpoint. And the breezy style makes me wince. Spend your money elsewhere.
Better Bacon Book
I have been making bacon for about three or four years now, however you can never stop learning and I did pick up several hints and suggestions that will make my bacon ever better....while that is hard to believe! Very good tutorial for every level of bacon-making enthusiast!!
- Category: Food & Drink
- Updated: Nov 18, 2013
- Version: 3.5.3
- Size: 94.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Open Air Publishing Inc.
- © 2012 Open Air Publishing Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.