Bitdefender Virus Scanner
By Bitdefender SRL
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
What's New in Version 3.7
Plus all the great fixes from the previous version:
* better memory management
* improvement: added the option to restore from quarantine in a new location if the original path is no longer available
* 64bit application support
* performance improvements
Used to be OK
I have been using this app for some time now, but the virus list update that occurred sometime after the 13th of November (the last time that I successfully used v3.7) has caused the app to hang up when it get to the webbookmark files in the Library/Cache/Metadata/Safari section. This started on the 27th of November. I tried several times and it always hangs there (which is to say that the app apppears to be scanning the same file for hours, as evidenced by the elapsed time ticker grinding on), albeit on different files. When I reported this, Bitdefender just used a stalling tactic (or prehaps it was canned SW replying to my report). For example, they wanted a screenshot - of an app that is hung-up. That would look the same as a screenshot of a perfectly functioning app.
I understand the app is free so I got what I paid for - but they have tarnishd their brand. It should be easy to replicate the problem at their end - the only issue is the current threat list. So I have switched to another virus scanner for now. I will note that scanner detected a lot of malware that apparently skated by Bitdefender.
Solved My Problem in 7 Minutes
I’m not computer savvy. I was researching motorcycles and started getting pop-ups for porn sites, then a big red warning with audio telling me I was infected and to call an 800 number. I closed Safari, went to the app store, got this, did the minimum, emptied my trash, and now there’s no more pop-ups. Fantastic!
THANKS THIS CAUGHT A VIRUS DON’T FALL FOR MAC CLEANER PRO. HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Thank you to bitdefender. The scanner caught a virus called ‘advanced mac cleaner’ thanks bd for saving my computer. to all readers don’t click on ‘advanced mac cleaner' it’s a virus also tell apple to release a security patch against it. thanks for your time.