Bitdefender Virus Scanner
By Bitdefender SRL
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Essential security for your Mac!
Bitdefender Virus Scanner finds Mac malware as well as Windows viruses with ease. Virus Scanner will detect any infected files that you downloaded or got in your inbox, so your Mac will be safe and you won’t pass anything bad to your friends’ computer.
Grant Bitdefender Virus Scanner access to the locations on your computer that you want to scan against malware. Choose ‘Deep System Scan’ or ‘Scan Critical Locations’ to scan. The award-winning Bitdefender engines will find that piece of malware. For free!
Make sure your Mac is free of infected files. Don't put your friends and family at risk by unknowingly passing along malware.
- Detects both OS X malware and Windows viruses;
- Before a scan, it updates to detect the latest malware;
- Searches for malware even in archives and inside various types of files such as pdf, pkg, zip, rar, etc.;
- Critical locations scan - rapidly scans system areas that are prone to infections.
- Award-winning Bitdefender antivirus engines;
- Quarantines dangerous files;
- Deep system scan for all the locations the user has granted access to;
- Drag-and-drop scan of files or folders;
- Option to exclude files and folders from scan (i.e. Time Machine backups, etc.)
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Due to sandboxing in the App Store, the app has access only to the locations that the user has explicitly granted access to. Grant access to the entire disk for increased protection;
- Disinfection limited by the privileges of the user running the app;
- Doesn’t scan programs stored in memory.
What's New in Version 3.10
Newly Added Localisations: French, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish
Plus all the great fixes from the previous version:
* better memory management
* improvement: added the option to restore from quarantine in a new location if the original path is no longer available
* 64bit application support
Really needs a pause button BIG TIME!
I can’t pause it to work on something, resume it later ??? — to save CPU/mem resources? I don’t understand that lack of a basic feature. I’m giving it 3 stars because of that and because I’ve only been using it for 24 hours. I’m meh at this point, may revise later.
It seems to be finding android and windoze related pups/trojans/viruses in emails and android backups (in contrast to Malwarebytes which finds nothing while BitDefender does) — but it doesn’t seem to be quarantining them — not sure the controls are exactly customizable (like being able leave where it is, go back later and quarantine or delete?)
I just know at this point that it needs a pause button and does not have one.
I’m always amazed at negative reviews of products/apps that I find extremely effective. Bit Defender (paid version) is outstanding. Updates smoothly, uses very little resources to run, and most importantly, detects and removes “bad stuff.” It just detected the Elmedia Proton Trojan and deleted it. Several major on-line publications said that the only way to clean out the trojan was to reinstall the OSX. Not correct — BD cleaned my Mac Mini completely and only required a simple reboot.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Sep 30, 2017
- Version: 3.10
- Size: 248 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Bitdefender SRL
- © 1997-2017 Bitdefender. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor