By Mick West
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
It's not a dictionary, it's not a spell-checker, CheckWord simply checks if a word is good or bad in games like Scrabble. Quicker than using a dictionary, easier than using a computer. Ideal for for both casual and tournament use. Comes with "MakeWords" the easiest and most powerful word generator and wild-card pattern matcher available.
- Uses the latest TWL, SOWPODS, CSW and WWF word lists
- TWL 2006, with 178,691 words for North America
- SOWPODS/CSW07 2006, with 267,751 words for international play
- FRENCH 2012, with 386,264 words for games in français
- WWF 4.09, with 173,123 words playable in Words With Friends
- CSW12 270,163 words from AA to ZZZS
- No internet connection needed, so you can be in airplane mode
- Instant results, just type in the word and hit the search button
- Judge multiple words at once, according to tournament rules.
- Generate words from your letters and board letters
- Solve crosswords by entering in the known letters
- Make anagrams, find words and make word lists with wild-card searches
What's New in Version 1.6
Updated French word list to 2012 version. Now with 386,264 words.
Cool Tool - powerful fast simple word searcher
Not updated since 2012 but still works fine on iOS 9 :-(. Had been my favorite word game companion until discovering WordsFinder Pro.
Use CheckWord's "MakeWords" ability to add a filter with wildcards -- very nice way to easily describe what a new word must fit into.
Feature requests to consider for next update:
1. Better dictionaries: Update dictionaries to current Scrabble and WWF lists. Allow user to add a dictionary. Allow searching more than one dictionary at once.
2. More visible results list: Make blanks more visible than just underlining. Bold and/or different color maybe.
3. Sorting: Allow sorting results (in addition to length) alphabetically or by word score.
4. Add (clearable) recent-searches-list so can explore an option then return to prior line of inquiry.
5. Link to online dictionary thesaurus to help learn about words. (Not so important since iOS lets you select a result word then Define or search web.)
Or try WordsFinder Pro to get nearly all these plus a more confusing and complex UI.
Best whatever this is There Is!
The interface is a bit plain, but that no doubt helps it load fast and work faster. Nothing fancy, just all the words you need. And the MAKEWORDS function seems to be the only one that lets you search both your rack AND a pattern at the same time. All of the others I've seen only do one or the other.
Worth every penny. A true 5-star app!
Can we have a high-res icon, though? :)
Great app for checking words and finding new combinations. I use it to expand my knowledge of words for playing Scrabble. Definitions would be an awesome feature!
Note from a developer to the developer: please upload a hi-res app icon and set it in your plist file! The current one looks pixelated on the retina display.