“This trip to the past is a glimpse at the future” - TIME. Enter the shadows of a post-war North American city through this film noir inspired, historically based immersive art app. Requires iPhone 4S/iPad 2 and above.
The first Real-time 3D art app to tell a story inspired by real events. An immersive experience created by internationally renowned artist Stan Douglas and the award-winning NFB Digital Studio. Through photorealistic 3D illustrations rendered from Douglas’ extensive historical research, Circa 1948 takes users to the late 1940s, Vancouver, BC, a young city in the midst of urban planning, but divided along lines of race and income. Eavesdrop on long lost conversations in two carefully recreated locations: an Old Hotel in Vancouver’s affluent west side, then squatted by homeless war veterans, or the muddy streets of ethnically diverse Hogan’s Alley in the working class east side, populated by racial minorities, gamblers, prostitutes and corrupt police officers. Produced by the National Film Board of Canada.
- Extensive historical detail
- Period music and audio
- 44 film noir influenced conversations
- Historically accurate props, architecture and landscapes
- Open-source real-time 3D engine
- Touch and gyroscope-driven navigation modes
- iPhone 4S, 5, 5C and 5S
- iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generation iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini and 2nd generation iPad Mini.
- iOS 8 Support
- fixed rendering bugs on iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+
Ratings and Reviews
Complex and Fascinating
A truly fascinating and immersive experience. This app does not grow old quickly. It is extremely well done with world-class audio, dialogue, and music. The amount of detail and things to listen to keep me exploring for hours. I would have given it five stars but it occasionally crashes. Hopefully they can make some minor tweaks to fix this. We need more apps like this!
Incredibly immersive, with an impressive amount of detail. I can easily lose track of time just taking in all the sights and sounds of this app. Unfortunately, it tends to crash every 20 minutes or so... I can't even take one star off for the instability; it's just that stunning.
Great way to force device to purge cache! 😁
I haven't tried the app at all because I am chronically short on space on my phone! BUT, if you have less space than the 2g this app requires (‼️), trying to install it will cause the device to free up space by purging some cache- namely "Documents & Data" from the lame Apple Podcasts app! 😃
- National Film Board / Office national du film
- 2 GB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2014-2015 National Film Board of Canada
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.