By Andrew Kaz & Phill Ryu
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** ON SALE THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS! ***
Many of you have been contacting us with questions about Apple's recently announced iBooks for iPad. We have no involvement, but we are proud to have influenced the future user interface of digital reading.
Escape into some of the greatest stories ever written.
Experience digital reading in a way that is so natural, and so obvious, it just feels right.
It begins with a collection of over a dozen hand-picked, literary masterpieces…
• *NEW* Through the Looking-Glass (ILLUSTRATED)
• *NEW* The Odyssey
• *NEW* The Art of War
• *NEW* The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
• *NEW* The Illiad
• *NEW* The Count of Monte Cristo
• *NEW* Frankenstein
• Treasure Island
• Pride & Prejudice
• A Christmas Carol (ILLUSTRATED)
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (ILLUSTRATED)
• Gulliver's Travels
• The Time Machine
• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
• The Call of the Wild
• Flatland (ILLUSTRATED)
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
• Robinson Crusoe
• The Jungle Book
• The Metamorphosis
• Paradise Lost
• Hound of the Baskervilles
"You get the feeling of actually reading a book" - Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
• An intuitive and elegantly designed reading experience with realistic 3D page flips that track to your finger. You can even drag a bit to take a peek at the next page, or finish reading a sentence as you start turning!
• Flick up and down in your virtual bookcase to view your collection, tap a book to open, and tap and hold to drag and sort your books
• Tap the table of contents button on the top right for quick navigation between chapters
• View how far you are in a book at a glance with a subtle progress display integrated into the top bar
• Classics automatically remembers your place with a satin bookmark when exiting the app or book
• Options to toggle 'page flip' animation to a more minimal 'slide', and to turn the page flip sound off and on can be found in your iPhone's settings application
"You're really getting a much nicer book experience… it's a gorgeous program." - Leo Laporte, MacBreak Weekly
What's New in Version 1.3
• Fixed ordering in the chapter list of "Flatland."
NEW TO THE COLLECTION
• "Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll
• "The Odyssey" by Homer
• "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu
If you haven't already, be sure to leave a review (we love hearing what you think of our app!), and check out our new Facebook group to leave book requests and ask questions: http://tinyurl.com/classicsfacebook
Thank you for your continued support!
It's perfect and could never get beter!
And it is FREE books!!! U can't beat that, and it's called classics not modern, bcuz twilight is not a classic, it came out in 2007!!! thats 3 years ago!!! But I do like twilight! Maybe u can give it an update (FREE plz) w/ new books like twilight and Harry potter, well maybe u can make a Modern or Popular book app for FREE too! And plz don't take books off bcuz I may be reading them, and I will only give , but yeah this is good, but plz think about making a modern app too, that's FREE plz!
I got this app when it first came out and it was free. Although it's not no free any more it is a very good deal. You get so many books for only $2.99! If you were to buy these books at the story they would cost around 10 bucks each! I was looking for the book app the hound of Baskerville for a course i will be taking and some of the prices went to free to $3.99! For only one book! Lucky me I rembered to look at my classics app and what do you know they have it! This app has not updated but it's still a lot of books at a wonderful price. I highly suggest getting this app!
Room for improvement, but good so far.
The rating for this review ignores the comments that other people have made about the fequency of new books being added and the selling of new books separately from this app-- if I am reading it right. I am not saying this to either deny or confirm what they have said.
This app runs smoothly overall, nice graphics of turning the pages, and it has good letter size to help me avoid reading with my iPod (3.0) too close to my face. This app currently contains 23 different classic books; great variety.
I have only one problem within this app right now. When I read the book, The Art of War, the chapters are a bit scrambled. I have to, somewhat, memorize which chapter is currently positioned so that I may know whether to move forward to the next chapter or move backward to reach the next chapter.
Granted this is a series, but may I reccommend adding The Chronicles of Narnia to the collection? For another suggestion, perhaps give the users the ability to change the size of the lettering to help those that may have a harder time reading.
Best eBook Interface Anywhere.
This application makes me so happy, every time I launch it. In addition to a charming collection of books (which I sincerely hope they will continue to expand), "Classics" has a beautiful and effective visual design.
The "bookshelf" is lovely. But the stand-out feature for me, that I wish I could translate onto the Kindle and all other e-readers: the way the app turns pages. It so beautifully mimics the natural turning of a page, that it allows you to read in a continuous flow as you do with a physical book. The page billows up, the text compresses over to the side, the page turns with a gentle (and optional) sound. The Kindle and all others force a tiny pause between one page and the next, as it changes from static page to static page, which I find eye-fatiguing and mentally disruptive. Even the page-curl of other similar apps is disruptive.
Beautiful, unique, inexpensive, immersive and soul-enriching: this is my favorite iPhone app, period.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Jul 16, 2009
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 48.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Kazmierski
- © 2008-2009 Andrew Kaz & Phill Ryu
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.