All the power of the iPhone camera at your fingertips!
With the incredibly capable camera that is your iPhone, and Codecam, the most simple, easy to use, yet very powerful app, you can enjoy the unlimited possiblities that the complete control over your iPhone's camera can provide!
- shoot in JPEG, like the stock camera app, or shoot JPEG+RAW, which also records a DNG file next to your jpeg (it will still look like a single photo in the photos app). You can import the DNG to you computer, or edit it on your iPhone with an app that supports DNG raw files.
- manual shutter speed, ISO. Lock your exposure by picking a new value, or by long pressing the automatically selected one. Long press again to go back to auto. You can also swipe up and down on the screen to apply an exposure bias while in automatic exposure mode.
- manual white balance: temperature and tint. You can lock the current value just like the exposure, or pick the exact values. White balance presets are also available: Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, plus two Incandescent and Fluorescent presets.
- manual focus: switch between auto an manual focus by tapping the button, or by tapping an area on the image to focus on it. A slider to manually focus is also available.
- video zoom: you can zoom by pinching the image, up until the point where upscaling would occur. For 4K, you can override this behaviour to allow zooming until the 1080p crop. The approximate focal length for the given zoom is also shown on the screen (converted to the equivalent focal length of a Super 35 or Full Frame sensor).
- the same manual controls for shutter speed, ISO, white balance and focus as in photo mode. Smooth autofocus using Focus Pixels on the iPhone 6 or newer is available.
- compressions supported: 15 Mbit, 25 Mbit, 50 Mbit, 75 Mbit, 100 Mbit, 200 Mbit, 400 Mbit in H.264 (or H.265 in newer devices) with selectable IPB or ALL-I modes, and MPJEG compression with a 9/10 (or 8/10 for 4K)) quality setting
(note: the displayed bitrate in MJPEG mode is an estimation of the maximum possible bitrate)
- frame rates supported: 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30
- additional frame rates supported by iPhone 5s: 720p50, 720p60
- additional frame rates supported by the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 6: 720p120
- additional frame rates supported by the iPhone 6: 1080p50, 1080p60, 720p240
- additional frame rates supported by the iPhone 6s and 7: 1080p120, 2160p30, 2160p25, 2160p24
- additional frame rates supported by the iPhone 8 and X: 1080p240, 2160p50, 2160p60
- video stabilization is supported, you can toggle between on and off, depending on availability on your device
- show shutter angle instead of shutter speed
- cinematic 1:2.35 overlay: swipte down and up on the preview screen to switch between 16:9 and cinemascope. This feature if for composition only, the image that will be recorded is the full 16:9 frame.
- automatic save to camera roll: all images and supported videos are saved to the camera roll
- gallery: You can see the images and videos you took in a grid or loupe view, with full metadata. You can also share them, or delete them right in the app.
- added support for iPhone Xs and Xs Max
- fixes an issue that prevented users with older phones from taking a photo
- some other minor improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Best pro video app available
This is my go-to app for professional video on my iPhone. It delivers a high bitrate image with a flat color profile, and all settings are easily accessible. It feels the most like a professional camera with manual hardware controls. It is quicker to adjust settings than Filmic Pro, which is my #2 pick, but the main offering that Codecam has over Filmic (and the other 20 or so apps I have used to film) is that it is extremely stable. Filmic Pro crashes a lot and often fails to save the footage.
No zoom for still photos???
I can't find a way to zoom when taking photos. Pinching doesn't work. Swiping left/right doesn't do it, and I can't find a slider for that.
I otherwise like this camera app, so I hope the developer will add zooming for the still photos, abd a Help button to explain how to use the app. I like the simplicity of the interface and the efficiency for the user to quickly change settings.
Could be a great app but bugs and no help
In both photo mode and video mode press the take/record button and a red center appears and it won’t take. No help or explanation.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.