Concepts is the award-winning, advanced sketching and design app for professional creators. With our infinite canvas and organic brushes, fluid and responsive vector drawing engine, and intuitive precision tools, your design experience has never felt so natural. Whether you’re an architect, product designer, illustrator or visual thinker, you can explore, iterate and share your designs anywhere you go.
- Infinite canvas and movable menus for a comfortable, focus-driven drawing workflow.
- Sketch with fluid pens or CAD-like wires, traditional-style pencils, markers and live-blending watercolor with COPIC or custom color sets.
- Mix and drag colors into your own palettes to preserve tone and mood, or reference colors from images with our new vector color picker.
- Select and adjust every stroke you’ve drawn for ultimate drawing control and easy iterations.
- Our precision shape guides, snap and measurement tools respond to real-world scale and do the math for you.
- Enjoy infinite, adjustable Layers, with a Focus Mode for quick reference and touchup.
- Create, organize and share custom object libraries for use in multiple projects, synced free across devices.
- Choose from a variety of powerful exports in standard or vector formats like High-res PNG, SVG, DXF (CAD) or PSD with a connected Adobe CC account. Share with your colleagues or bridge with other apps for further development.
- Optimized for Drag & Drop, and fine-tuned to work seamlessly with Apple Pencil on iPads including 120Hz ProMotion rendering.
Concepts is used by top designers at Apple, Disney, Playstation, Philips, HP, Unity, Illumination Entertainment, and many more.
- "I use Concepts more than any other tool. I absolutely love it. The natural, fluid, vector-based workflow is so easy to use, but incredibly powerful. The technology never gets in the way of creativity. The fast and clean user experience makes it a joy to use.” - Yarrow Cheney, production designer, film director
- "The Concepts app has not changed what I do, just transformed how I do it. It offers me the power, flexibility and adaptability of technology with all the sensitivity and immediacy of traditional hand drawing. In short, it is an app that I now cannot imagine being without, and the only time I've experienced something that betters pen and paper.” - Ewen Miller, head of Calderpeel Architects
- “I use it just for everything. Drawing, making notes, brainstorming, PDF markup, wireframing, design — EVERYTHING. And it delivers.” - natanaeldekross
Start sketching with our solid, free sketching package. Enjoy beautiful tools, COPIC colors, five layers, our infinite canvas and JPG exports.
Upgrade to the Essentials, designed specifically for professionals. Gain the powerful ability to select and adjust your strokes after you’ve drawn them, create custom brushes, use our precision shape guides and shape objects, and export PNG, PSD, SVG, DXF and CONCEPT native file formats.
Get just what you need A-la-Carte, like brush packs, royalty-free, vector object libraries, Make Your Own Objects (use them as Stickers in iMessage) and deep PDF integration.
Or subscribe monthly or yearly and gain access to every library and feature in app, plus our new Team services for quick collaboration: secure live sharing of libraries, palettes and all future libraries + content.
If you opt to subscribe to Concepts Everything monthly or yearly, payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at time of purchase. Your plan will renew automatically at the price shown above within 24 hours of the end of the billing period, unless turned off beforehand. You can cancel or make changes anytime in your iTunes Account settings.
We're dedicated to quality and update often. If you get stuck, chat with us in-app, pencil a note to email@example.com, or find us anywhere with @ConceptsApp.
COPIC is the trademark of Too Corporation. Special thanks to Lasse Pekkala, Osama Elfar and Mimochai for cover art!
Our first update of 2019 introduces Presentation Mode! Now you can present your canvas sans interface via Airplay or any connected monitor.
Other fixes included in this release:
- Improved tool wheel color scheme
- Fixes the active color to always be visible when opening the color wheel
- Fixes a bug with portrait images changing their orientation
- Fixes a bug with layers when exporting PSD files
- Fixes a bug in the object market
If you’re a fan of frequent updates and want to show your support, please leave a five-star review on the App Store and send us your feedback via Ask Us Anything in the Help screen.
The Concepts Team
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using Concepts for over a year, during which time it’s evolved from “oh, that’s nice” to an absolutely essential part of my workflow. My main use of Concepts is for various kinds of technical sketching/drafting purposes. Everything from concept drawings for projects destined for the workshop and/or CAD, pattern drafting complex fiber arts work, and much more. I’m not a production visual artist; rather Concepts is my first-stop design studio.
As such, Concepts’ infinite canvas, layers, and vector-vs-pixel based model are the key features that make my work a joy. With the infinite canvas, I can seamlessly work and sketch on related ideas & drawings, then rearrange and/or export what I need for inclusion in other documents. Layers are a gigantic timesaver, making it easy to select, duplicate, and modify various “slices” of my work, allowing easy correction of mistakes, evolution of ideas, and eliminating lots of tedious redrawing. Likewise, the vector model plays into the layer support, making it straightforward to select, group, and edit individual artifacts.
All that’s the tip of the iceberg. As you get further into it, so many features come together to make your work better and faster. How about a *tiny* bit of smoothing to clean up my janky line work? Or crank smoothing to 100% for minute to get ruler-straight lines without even having to break out the “Precision” tools.
I started using this app 1 day before the release of version 5. I made this sprawling and complex drawing of a customer journey map to map out the design of a brand new feature we’re working on for our app. I found the version 4 UI highly functional but felt it was really complicated and busy. I was only using the free version, since that was fulfilling my needs.
That all changed with version 5. Version 5 introduces an all-new UI (and payment structure) which massively simplifies the controls while drawing, and lets you hide and show different panels if they’re in the way (the Layers button for example). I’m still confused about how the color palates work, so I’m using the “Recent” color palate and that’s doing the job. This tool feels indispensable to me now. That infinite canvas is amazing, and the sketch tools and features feel like a super expensive piece of drawing software at a fraction of the price.
My favorite feature, and why it’s awesome for drawing journey maps and wireframes for designing apps, is Concepts’ infinitely-sized canvas. It’s like the biggest whiteboard ever and you can just keep going and going. Making super long journey map type of work is nearly impossible on fixed page size drawing apps, so this is truly revolutionary for me.
I have iPad Pro 256GB and Concepts Pro. Once you surpass around 20 layers, and I mean just simple line art, Memory Warning starts showing in the top middle. I have made sure that all apps were closed and restarted my iPad with same thing occurring. Merging of layers is pretty whacky as well. When merging down two or three layers I end up losing some of whatever colors in a layer I have between the layers. Three layer object in point is if I create a simple Window with frame and glass panels, light and curtain. Granted they merge dependent on what layer is above what but this is in no way like a Photoshop merge where there is no loss. I would expect the light layer to merge as the back layer it is but not the case.
Dev answered so this deserves an update. For the most part this is an awesome app and I will continue to use it. My comment above is based off the lack of understanding of the effects of vector graphics on memory so will stay only for the next guy.
Truly, exporting as a transparent PNG and then importing into a new project as they recommend is the workaround once you start getting the error. I would love to export to Photoshop layered file without needing to have to log into an Adobe account though.
Developer Response ,
Sorry you are having an issue with this. The memory relevant here is RAM not storage memory. The iPad Pro has 4GB (or 2GB for 9.7"). As Concepts is a vector app, then every stroke uses memory. Typically, 30,000 or more strokes is possible. The number of layers has almost no impact on memory use. If you contact our support team, we can take a look at a drawing and understand why it is using so much memory. In Concepts, tap the ? in the top right and Ask Us Anything. Thanks
In-App PurchasesSee All
- TopHatch, Inc.
- 134.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © TopHatch, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Essentials $9.99
- PDF Essentials $4.99
- Everything Monthly $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.