By CourseSmart LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The CourseSmart eTextbooks app is a perfect complement to a CourseSmart eTextbook subscription. Students can benefit from the advantages of mobile learning--leaving their backpacks and laptops behind.
NOTE: For best results please use iOS 6+.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
* Access your eTextbooks for quick reference
* Checkout your eTextbooks for offline usage
* Add, edit and view your notes and highlights as you study
* Synchronize your notes and highlights across all CourseSmart reading systems
* Support for portrait and landscape orientations
* Find what you need using keyword search
* Get a true digital equivalent of your textbook
* Internet access (WiFi or 3G recommended)
* CourseSmart account
* Subscription to one or more CourseSmart eTextbooks
What's New in Version 4.1.2
Recently redesigned app for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Update now for additional speed & stability improvements.
Horrible text quality
The new version 4.1.2 seems to have made offline capability better on the iPad. Before, even if you downloaded the book, you couldn’t access the material without signing in. Now it loads up and doesn’t make you sign in each time. The speed of accessing material is greatly improved with the new version. However, the big problem is that they are so concerned with piracy that they intentionally apply watermarks to the electronic text and they intentionally degrade the text quality so that it looks rough and in some areas, blurry. Imagine using your retina display to read non-smooth text! That’s a waste and I find it to be really annoying. CourseSmart is sometimes the only place you can get certain books in electronic format, but there is another company called Kno and if you can get a book from them, the above mentioned problems do not exist. I would only rent or buy a book from CourseSmart if there is no other alternative!
Worst E-Reader Ever
This is by far the worst E-Reader I've ever used. I've used dozens of PDF readers, office-like apps, nook, kindle, and this is by far the worst. The only way to remove downloaded material is to uninstall the app. You can't even book mark. Who ever heard of an E reader with no book mark function? In a lot of my courses, I have to reference back and forth between many chapters, and course smart makes that extremely difficult. The highlighter function is really cumbersome. Furthermore, the quality of the text books I have had through course smart are of extremely low quality. I've grown to hate course smart, and in the future, will never again attend a college that uses it.
First, the positive:
1. You can upload books to your iPad or computer so you can read the books offline.
2. You can synchronize your notes and highlights between devices.
Now, the negative:
1. The highlighting tool is horrible. Most of the time it does not let you select the text you want even if you repeatedly keep tapping the same word.
2. The highlighting tool is slow.
3. The text quality on the text book is horrible.
4. Cannot print.
5. No landscape mode. The print looks pretty small on an iPad.
6. App is constantly shutting down and restarting.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 05, 2014
- Version: 4.1.2
- Size: 12.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: CourseSmart, LLC
- © 2014 CourseSmart LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.