Deseret Bookshelf (LDS e-reader)
By Deseret Book Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Deseret Bookshelf is the incredibly simple way to read, search, and study your entire LDS library. This powerful app is the perfect companion for gospel learning, and a satisfying source of inspiration and doctrine that will last a lifetime.
Bookshelf from Deseret Book has been completely redesigned, making it simply the best LDS eBook reader available. When you get started you’ll receive eight free eBooks and find:
● Normal, Night, and Sepia reading modes
● Customizable view (fonts, font size, line spacing)
● Page-view and scroll-view options
● Elegant, modern interface optimized for iOS 7
● Tabbed reading allows you to easily switch between several open eBooks
● Easy access to your notes, highlights, and bookmarks
● All annotations backed up and accessible across your iOS devices
Search (faster and more powerful)
● Search your entire library or a single book
● Find exact phrases, any, or all search terms
● More accurate than ever before
● Easily switch between your library and search results
● Ability to share favorite passages with anyone through email, Facebook, and Twitter
● Option to tell your networks what books and authors you’re reading
Download the app and create an account to receive eight free classic LDS titles:
1) Jesus the Christ
2) Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
3) Discourses of Brigham Young
4) Lectures on Faith
5) History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
6) The Miracle of Forgiveness
7) Gospel Doctrine
8) Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt
Plus the entire Standard Works: the Old and New Testaments, The Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. LDS scripture references within eBooks are linked to the entire standard works, allowing you to easily explore scriptural connections within your library.
Shop our eBook store for nearly 3,000 LDS eBook titles and other world classics from your favorite authors. Download many official Church publications for free, including curriculum materials and reference books.
Need help? Try our FAQs: http://deseretbook.com/bookshelf_faq
Need more help? Email us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 2.3
-- New Features --
● We have added a new feature called "Study Sessions”. Study sessions are where you can save a series of open books and settings that you can recall later. You can have any number of study sessions. For example a “Church” study session, a “Night time reading” study session, etc.
● Searching has been greatly improved. Now search results show you the book / chapter / verse for scriptures and book / chapter in the search results.
● There is a new “search mini bar” open when you perform a search, allowing you to move between search results much more efficiently.
● Now you can read books in landscape mode on the iPhone. This only applies, however, if you have “scroll mode” enabled while reading books. However videos can be in landscape mode regardless of the scroll mode of the book.
-- Improvements --
● Now you can see which book you are in at the bottom of the view when the book’s controls are visible.
● When the book controls are visible, you can now see the # of remaining pages in a chapter.
● Now when you copy text to your device’s clipboard, you do not get any of the text formatting, just the raw text.
● Now you can tap and hold on a link to open up a selector to open the link in a new tab or in the existing tab. This is a convenient way to open up scripture links in a new tab.
● Sorting by author in the library view now sorts by last name, instead of the author’s display name which in many cases was their first name.
● Now you can double-tap on a picture in a book to go into a “picture view” mode where you can view and resize the picture.
● Adjusted the margin size - especially on small devices like the iPhone so that you can comfortably get more text on the screen.
-- Bug Fixes --
● Fixed a problem where you could move a bookmark off of the view.
● Fixed various problems with the login / create account screen not scrolling properly when the keyboard was appearing.
● Fixed a problem where tapping on the left or right of the page fails to go to the previous or next page.
● Fixed problem when archiving a book while the book is open in an existing tab.
● Fixed a problem where notes where not getting synchronized properly.
● Many more bugs in formatting and usability.
More massive improvements needed
First off, the fact that it is cloud based is good. But the following are bad:
1. Due to cloud base it is terribly slow, too slow for that matter.
2. The copy feature only copies a link to your bookshelf not the actual quote itself. This makes it terribly frustrating when you are trying to copy a quote, etc. into the LDS library app. And please, please figure out a way for the two applications to talk!!! I would love for them to merge or talk so that my bookshelf books can be accessed through the LDS library app.
3. Please stop the nonsensical advertisements for other books on the main page when we log in. I don't go to my bookshelf at home and sort through ads before I pull a book down to read. If this truly is a bookshelf then let it be one that is personal and without solicitation from you. We get enough emails as it is!!!!
What this App should have been all along.
I love the new Bookshelf. Multiple tabs, better highlighting, notes, etc. works better for studying gospel topics & lesson planning. The app crashes less and is more streamlined overall. I'm sure with time more and more improvements will come along as all the kinks are worked out.
Changing email will cause you to loose all your books!
The bookshelf is a good program unless you have to change your email account when the change is made you have just lost the ebooks you bought. This makes the program useless. It is as if there is a limit to how many books you can have because the more new books I have added, I loose more of my original books and Deseret Book gives lip service, but once the ebooks are gone, they will NEVER return! Try Kindle, you don't loose your church books with them! Liz T
- Category: Books
- Updated: Mar 24, 2014
- Version: 2.3
- Size: 45.0 MB
- Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Deseret Book Digital
- © 2011 Deseret Book Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.