Deseret Bookshelf (LDS e-reader)
By Deseret Book Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Deseret Bookshelf is the incredibly simple way to read, search, and study your entire LDS library. This powerful app is the perfect companion for gospel learning, and a satisfying source of inspiration and doctrine that will last a lifetime.
Now in addition to eBooks, Deseret Bookshelf plays audiobooks purchased from Deseret Book.
Bookshelf from Deseret Book has been completely redesigned, making it simply the best LDS eBook reader available. When you get started you’ll receive eight free eBooks and find:
● Perfect for when you have a spiritual thought or to help you begin your day right.
● Thousands pre-loaded which you can find by Author, Topic, or Source
● Mark quotes as a favorite. Any quote you mark as a favorite will synchronize across all of your devices.
● Jump to the original source of the quote, if the book it is from is in your library; or if you don’t own the source you can learn more about it.
● Daily quote updates - Each day a new quote delivered to your device. You can set a reminder to let you know about the new quote either on a daily or weekly basis.
● Normal, Night, and Sepia reading modes
● Customizable view (fonts, font size, line spacing)
● Page-view and scroll-view options
● Elegant, modern interface optimized for iOS 7
● Tabbed reading allows you to easily switch between several open eBooks
● Easy access to your notes, highlights, and bookmarks
● All annotations backed up and accessible across your iOS devices
Search (faster and more powerful)
● Search your entire library or a single book
● Find exact phrases, any, or all search terms
● More accurate than ever before
● Easily switch between your library and search results
● Ability to share favorite passages with anyone through email, Facebook, and Twitter
● Option to tell your networks what books and authors you’re reading
Download the app and create an account to receive eight free classic LDS titles, plus a free audiobook:
1) Increase in Learning - David A. Bednar
2) Power of Everyday Missionaries - Clayton M. Christensen
3) Beginning of Better Days - Sheri Dew, Virginia Pearce
4) Be Your Best Self - Thomas S. Monson
5) Jesus the Christ - James E. Talmage
6) Lectures on Faith - Joseph Smith
7) Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
8) Gospel Doctrine - Joseph F. Smith
Plus the entire Standard Works: the Old and New Testaments, The Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. LDS scripture references within eBooks are linked to the entire standard works, allowing you to easily explore scriptural connections within your library.
PLUS your choice of the following audio:
● Recovering Charles
● Joseph Smith, The Early Years
● Jesus of Nazareth, Volume 1
Shop our eBook store for over 3,000 LDS eBook titles and other world classics from your favorite authors. Shop our audio store for over 500 titles. Download many official Church publications for free, including curriculum materials and reference books.
Need more help? Email us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 3.8
● Fixed various memory leaks.
● Fix black or white screen which appears sometimes when the application is restored from the previous session.
● Application stabilization.
● Many many bugs fixed.
Good but needs a little work
Maybe it's just my updates or whatever, but I seem to keep having the same problems. When I go to select a section of words to highlight or book mark, I have to select and re-select the section at least twice before it will give me the option of highlight/bookmark/etc.
When I leave the app, it would be nice if I could just pick up where I left off when I reopen it, with the same book. Sometimes it will bring me back to the same book I'm reading sometimes it just pulls up the menu and quote/etc. In the times where upon reopening it brings me back to the book I was reading it's in the beginning of the book instead of where I last read.
It also would be so nice to be able to make purchases straight from the app instead of having to transfer to browser to purchase/add to wishlist.
A good app for LDS content . . .
I do not know why Deseret Book has decided that they need to create their own ebook app . . . I am certain that they have a reason why they have taken a path which makes their ebooks not compatible with the Kindle app for example. That having been said, without simply pointing out where the Deseret Book app is different than the Kindle app (which is probably the standard), I find the app does a good job presenting the unique LDS content which is not available via any other outlet. I have a good sized library of LDS and non-LDS content. I am able to read the ebooks without any problems. The app syncs content and most recent location a crossed devices like iPhone, iPad, etc. I even found that there is a way to read my Deseret content on my PC.
My morning companion!
This app has turned into a companion for my scripture study. I've noticed that with a little discipline, this app can be such a lifesaver! I've been able to read my digital copies faster than my original books I own simply because I always have this in my pocket. The bookmarking feature is great. The daily quotes also remind me to open the app and read rather than to waste time on other social media platforms. The lesson helps also benefit me as a leaner and teacher in Sunday school and Relief Society. Even without any specific need for the lessons, I've always enjoyed reading about how the words of God through modern prophets are just an app away. Thank you!