Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms and designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Translator – translate into over 25 languages
- New Content Collections Carousel includes fresh content from our Blog, Slideshows and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - find out where even the strangest words come from
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- Spelling suggestions - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming and Slang Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 7.0.0
Just in time for the holiday season, we have added new features to make your Dictionary.com experience that much better. Thanks to your valuable feedback, our latest release has updated the following features:
* Definitions and Thesaurus - YES! We are bringing thesaurus back. Search within the dictionary and thesaurus from anywhere in the app by selecting them from the search box.
* Recent Searches – Tap the search box to see your most recent searches.
* Favorite Words – Access your favorites at any time by tapping the star icon on the top right of the home screen.
* Settings and Features – Access all of your app’s options conveniently through the top left menu.
* Ease of Use – Experience a more seamless navigation to the home screen using the X on the top right of any page.
We hope you enjoy this update. Happy holidays to all of you from us at Dictionary.com!
Super useful! But some suggestions:
This is a really good, useful app. I use it all the time for school and for learning more vocabulary. It's quite efficient already, but I have 2 suggestions. Such as when you click on trends then select a word to see its definition, there's no back button to take you back to that same page. So you have to go back to the menu bar and to the trends page and scroll down to where you were before to continue looking. This is extremely annoying. A back button would be fantastic. Also, several years ago the app used to have a function where you could shake your phone and a random word would appear. I would like to see something like that again for the app. It was a really cool feature and I would love to have it again. Overall, really good and helpful app to have. I rate it 4 stars only because of the issue with having to click back to get to the trends. Otherwise the app is definitely extremely beneficial for students and those who like to expand their vocabularies.
Rhymes and Slang additions are not worth the money
So far, almost every word I've used to look to see what rhymes or options for slang, comes back with none available. I mean come on. The word "sweet" gets nothing under rhymes? And "honey" has no slang options? I would suggest not purchasing these additions until they offer an updated version with real options for the majority of the words in the dictionary. Otherwise, it's a functional dictionary and thesaurus.
I suggest they think about these additions they're selling as viable resources their users are spending money on. If you're going to sell them then get in gear and come up with options for more words. The user needs to feel they have something for their money. I wouldn't expect this to be a problem for such a well known app. This is why I give it three stars! For the simple fact they lead you on to purchase these additions and then give you very little in return!
The Best Dictionary Mobile Application!
I have installed several other dictionary apps in my smartphone but I rarely have to use them because this app "does everything", especially with the current update (7.0.0).
Furthermore, the new update brought several positive changes: such as, new design, a history log, thesaurus, etc. Among these changes I really liked the new design, it is amazing and clean-looking! This also comes with a design that unclutters the app. Also, the implemented a "recents" or history log that enables "us" (users) to see our past searches and re-visit them quickly or just remind you what you looked up. Also, the "clear" function has saved me some time and I really like this new feature -- keep it!
Also worthy of mention is the offline mode of this app, although this is was with the app before I think this feature is amazing. Although I would like to have word audio offline mode (how bigger would that take?).
All in all, this is a neat, reliable dictionary app -- the best, in my opinion.
By the way, this review reflects my personal opinion. I did not receive any compensation for this review, I really like this app and have benefited a lot from this app so I wanted to give them a positive feedback.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 16, 2015
- Version: 7.0.0
- Size: 47.0 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Idioms & Phrases Upgrade$1.99