Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus for iPad
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Top-rated app with trusted reference content from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com. WORKS OFFLINE - no Internet connection needed when searching words.
• English Dictionary and Thesaurus - over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
• Offline access – no Internet connection needed for most content
• Daily content, including Word of the Day, slideshows & the blog
• Audio pronunciations
• Example sentences
• Word Origin & History
• Voice search (five free searches included)
• Medical Dictionary with over 45,000 medical words & definitions available as a Premium Upgrade
• Science Dictionary with over 8,500 science definitions & illustrations available as a Premium Upgrade
• Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
• Slang Dictionary with over 19,000 modern and fun definitions available as a Premium Upgrade
• Grammar & Tips available as a Premium Upgrade
• Idioms & Phrases with over 10,000 idioms available as a Premium Upgrade
• Modern, up-to-date English definitions & content
• Customizable font sizes for better readability
• Favorite words
• Search history
• Spelling suggestions
• Popular & local trending searches
What's New in Version 3.2.3
Bug fixes and improvements.
All good except for one thing
This dictionary was so much more than I'd realized when I downloaded it. Not only does it have a good dictionary, it includes a decent thesaurus, translator, gives rhyming words, and a fun word of the day. So, you can use it for lots of things: word look up, writing, songwriting, translating text.
The ONLY downside is that you must have an internet connection. You probably wouldn't want such a heavy file to keep it all on the computer, but still... if you travel places where you aren't guaranteed an internet connection and need it anyway, you're busted. All in all, though, if you're fine with having to be online to access it, you'd be hard pressed to find something better all in one package.
I Love It! By Golph Chyk
I use this dictionary even more than I thought I would; almost daily. It is so good with the pronunciation and thesaurus and Word of the Day and I just discovered I could translate words into another language. I think it really is the best dictionary app and I just downloaded it to my husband's iPhone. He had another dictionary app and half the time it didn't even have the word he wanted. Another feature I like is the background essay of words; where they came from, how they were used originally and how they changed over time to what we know today. Whenever I open this app, I learn something. It's good for the brain.
Helpful, Useful, Interesting
The app is full of interesting bits, besides the core dictionary function. The newest version provides even more functionality, while remaining as useful in other areas. It's easier to navigate and to use, too.
I have one quibble, new for the latest version (as of early February, 2014): little pop-ups within the app offering me ways to "earn points." I don't want points from a dictionary app, I want definitions and etymology.
OK, two quibbles: I've already rated the app. Stop bugging me to rate the app!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 12, 2014
- Version: 3.2.3
- Size: 62.1 MB
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2013 Dictionary.com, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade$2.99
- set of 100 voice to text searches$2.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Power Pack Upgrade$7.99
- The Writer's Toolbox$4.99
- set of 300 voice to text searches$0.99