Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus
By Dictionary.com, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only free Dictionary app you will ever need. Works offline!
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms.
This app works offline – you do not need an internet connection.
Now get Word of the Day and more on your Apple Watch!
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word every day
- Audio pronunciation – hear every word
- Voice search – speak to search
- Translator – get translations for over 30 languages
- Blog – explore over 800 fun language topics
- Slideshows – fascinating facts about language
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary with Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin - find out interesting etymologies
- Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn
- Spelling suggestions – get help with how words are spelled
- Local lookups - see which words are being searched near you
- Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Want even more? You can add to your app with our in-app purchases:
- Slang Dictionary
- Idioms and Phrases
- Example Sentences
- Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Premium App.
What's New in Version 5.2.2
- Apple Watch improvements
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
Search bar issues
Don't get me wrong. This is an awesome app with many feature despite being free. However, there are issues with my search bar. I have no problem searching a word the first time I open it up. But, after the second word search, the app gives me difficulty in searching for it. After the first word is typed, the word stays there. It doesn't show that the word is deleted when I press the backspace key. It just stays there. I have to continue clicking on the search bar and backspace, over and over until, it finally shows that it is delete / clear from the search bar. Which brings me to another issue. After the search bar is clear, and type the second word, the listed possible words completely cover up the word being typed. It is a mild annoyance that I cannot view the word I am typing. Fix this soon! Thank you.
A Powerful Tool
This app, in a sense, has changed my life. In life, people are surrounded by what is called "social capital". If you are raised in an educated family, the extent of intellectual conversation, literature, and thus vocabulary you are exposed to is incredibly high, and this is a critical advantage to one's life journey. Being raised in a blue collar family as a scholar, I had some catching up to do to operate at my highest level in academia and in the work that I pursue.
Traditional dictionaries are loathsome creatures, tombs of older days. It was cumbersome, to say the least, to search a word you did not recognize when in the middle of a pithy passage from some mind-expanding book. Because of the ease of this app, I have a basic rule for myself: I can never pass up a word I do not know. This app makes that possible.
Is the app perfect? What is, really... But it improves all the time. The "word of the day" push feature is my mental intrigue for the morning, which literally gives me the dose of curiosity that I require, allowing me to shake my slumber grog and embrace a new day, and often a new word, with a little self growth.
Cheers, dictionary app!
Functional but frustrating by design
So I enter a search for a word. Any word. The definition pops up, but I can only see it for 0.02 seconds before a notification pops up to upgrade to the premium edition. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Can I just read the definition please? I know I didn't pay money for this, but you DID publish a free version, and I assume you want people to like it enough to do the upgrade. It's bad enough there are ad banners ABOVE AND BELOW the content. Who puts ads on top AND on bottom in an IPHONE APP? Someone should tell the app coders that there's not a lot of real estate on most iPhone screens. But then again what do you expect from Oxford? "Frustrate: The act of causing frustration. See frustration."
"Frustration: The state of being or of having been frustrated."
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 26, 2015
- Version: 5.2.2
- Size: 37.1 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Dictionary.com, LLC
- © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade$2.99
- 100 Voice to Text Searches$2.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade$2.99
- Remove Ads Upgrade$1.99
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade$2.99
- 300 Voice to Text Searches$0.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade$1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade$1.99
- Translator Upgrade$0.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade$1.99