DIRECTV App for iPad
By DIRECTV, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
DIRECTV’s new iPad app. Now your favorite shows, movies and sports are just a tap away.
Available for customers in the USA only.
- Highly customizable remote control functionality right on your iPad.
- Browse and discover movies, shows and sports - without interrupting the show you are currently watching on TV.
- Set recordings or channel tune instantly, and access more information on shows, cast & crew, with parental ratings.
- Access sports scores and schedules and set your favorite teams.
HOME SCREEN (Customizable modules)
- What’s Hot – Displays the most popular shows, movies and sports people are watching on DIRECTV right now.
- Currently Watching – More information about the show you are watching now and suggestions for similar shows.
- Guide Favorites – List of favorite channels selected through the Guide.
- Channel Guide – Displays up to 14 days of upcoming shows for a selected channel.
- Favorite Channels – Create user preferred lists of channels (by category, his or her list, etc.)
- QuickTune – One-touch selection of your favorite channels by name or icon.
- News Channels – All the news channels in one module.
- Kids & Family – All the kids & family friendly channels in one module.
- Sports – Browse available sports events and scores by game or favorite teams.
DEDICATED TABS (Playlist, Guide, Movies and Sports)
- Organize and view all of your recorded content by poster or list view.
- View list of recorded content for each receiver.
- Search listings up to 14 days in advance by traditional grid view or selected channel.
- View show descriptions, Cast & Crew, Photos, Suggestions & Parental Information.
- Share your favorite shows with friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- Select shows from Facebook/Twitter that your friends are watching and instantly launch the DIRECTV app to see more information and set recordings.
- Change channels, set recordings and get more information.
- Customize the guide by favorite channels.
- View current sports matchups and scores by league, with the option to watch or record.
- Record On Demand Movies.
- Recording and remote control functionality is available to DIRECTV customers only.
- iPad® 2, iPad® Mini and iPad® Air running iOS 8 or later
- DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access the DIRECTV for Tablets.
- Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time.
- Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection.
- Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR.
- Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426/
For Tips, Tricks and Customer Support, please visit: http://forums.directv.com
This DIRECTV App features Nielsen’s proprietary measurement software which will allow you to contribute to
http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more information about this Nielsen measurement feature.
What's New in Version 4.1.10
Binge your favorite shows! When streaming TV shows, you’ll see an indicator shortly before the current episode ends so you can jump to the next episode. Tap the play icon to start the next episode immediately. If you chose to wait for the current episode to end, you’ll see suggestions for other titles you might like when the credits are over.
As always, the update includes additional bug fixes and performance enhancements.
I love having the ability to download shows, but the app can be frustrating.
Don't update the app unless you are home. I was out of the country with over 10 hours of recordings I had downloaded. Lost them all when I updated to a new version. I read the update description and there was no warning that this would happen. After the update there was a dialog box saying I may have lost the recordings, but don't worry I could always download them again when I was home and connected to my GenieGo. I was very frustrated not to have something to watch during down time and on the plane.
Also you can select shows to download, but you need to keep checking the progress. First the program has to be prepared (which takes a long time), then the show can download. However, the process tends to stop and you need to restart it.
Yep... now worthless
This app had potential a while back. I could actually use it to sort through the movie categories, especially Sci-Fi. Now, that no longer works. All I get is the full list of all movies. When I apply the Sci-Fi filter, only a couple of them show up in the list. The same is true for "Horror" and other categories. This used to work once upon a time.
In addition to that, playing GenieGO content stopped working as of today. I'm not talking about the OOH streaming stuff. I'm talking about simply downloading content to my iPad, taking the iPad on the road, and having it refuse to play the content for various reasons. I see it in the list, but the "Watch" button is greyed out or it politely tells me I cannot play this content at this time. Again, I'm not talking about streaming content from my GenieGO box. I'm talking about content that I've confirmed has downloaded to my iPad. I actually see the downloads in my "offline" list. It just refuses to play the content.
So, given that I can't sort movies or play any GenieGO content, this app is officially worthless to me.
Shame on DirecTV for putting out this garbage. You'd think you could do better for the billions you collect from your customers.
The reason I am canceling directv
Congratulations directv. Your app has single handedly convinced me to cancel my service. This app has never worked consistently and out of home streaming is a joke that has never worked right. But instead of fixing the app you release updates that first add advertising every time you start the app and most recently advertisements that play on top of the show, are unskippable and eat up data despite the fact that I downloaded the episode so I wouldn't use data. For others that are frustrated with unskippable ads disable your internet connection before starting the app. That will get you back to the normal commercials you can fast forward. That is until they release another patch that fixes the ads but still leaves TV virtually useless.