By DIRECTV, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The ultimate video experience is just a tap away with the DIRECTV App for iPhone. Watch top TV channels live on your iPhone® or iPod touch® in any room of your home. You can get instant access to hit entertainment on demand from HBO®, Cinemax®, STARZ®, ENCORE®, Showtime®, Nickelodeon, HGTV, and Comedy Central, plus the latest DIRECTV CINEMA movies and more, whenever and wherever you want—at home or on the go.
And now includes support for Apple Watch!
Limited programming available. Additional charges may apply. Available for customers in the USA only
- Watch thousands of your favorite movies and shows On Demand at home or on the go with HBO®, Cinemax®, STARZ®, ENCORE®, Showtime®, Nickelodeon, HGTV, Comedy Central and more.
- Turn your iPhone into a portable TV and watch top TV channels live in any room of your home.
- Set your DVR to record your favorite shows from anywhere.
- Get program descriptions, cast & crew info, photos, recommendations & parental ratings.
- Watch thousands of your favorite shows and movies right on your iPhone.
- “Live TV” displays a list of channels available to watch on your iPhone within the home.
- Set parental controls, and enjoy peace of mind over what your children are watching.
- Browse and discover thousands of On Demand titles.
- Search for DIRECTV CINEMA movies based on categories.
- Search for any television show up to 14 days in advance, view top picks of the week, and sort by programs you can watch on your iPhone.
- Record shows by a single episode or entire series to any DIRECTV DVR in your home.
- Add additional time to the start or end of a recording request or select to manually record a channel for a specific amount of time.
- Set recordings for DIRECTV CINEMA movies to watch on your home TV any time. Order movies and events without your receiver connected to a phone line.
- Share your favorite shows with friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- Browse the top shows and movies people are currently talking about and set your DVR to record.
- Manage your account.
- Instant access to Mobile Answer Center link for FAQs.
- Browsing functionality is available to everyone.
- Recording functionality is available to DIRECTV customers with a DVR only.
- iPhone® 4S or later, iPod touch® 5th generation running iOS 8 or later
- DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on DIRECTV’s website to access the DIRECTV for iPhone.
- Watching select Live TV Streaming channels outside the home requires an active Wi-Fi or mobile network connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time.
- Live TV Streaming in-home only channels and remote control requires a Wi-Fi connection to your home network and a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models R22, and HR20 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection. Remote control also works with HD receivers (models H21, H23 or higher) connected to a broadband Internet connection.
- Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, or mobile network connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD DVR.
- Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording.
For complete details on technical requirements, please visit: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3426/
For Tips, Tricks and Customer Support, please visit: http://forums.directv.com
This DIRECTV App features Nielsen’s proprietary measurement software which will allow you to contribute to
http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more information about this Nielsen measurement feature.
What's New in Version 4.0.107
Now you can control your Internet-connected receiver right from your Apple Watch!
IMPORTANT TIP: Before using your Apple Watch, make sure your receiver is set up properly. Go to your receiver’s MENU, then select Settings & Help > Settings > Whole-Home > External Device. Make sure "External Access", “Current Program” and "Recordings" is set to Allow and "Recently Watched" is set to Share.
Apple Watch Features:
- Play, pause, rewind, and fast forward Live TV, On Demand and Recorded content
- Set DVR recordings
- Navigate and select options from the on-screen guide, playlist and menu displays on your HD-DVR
Watch app doesn't work well
The watch app would be great except on the main screen it can almost never load the currently playing program. (Why do I need even need to see this on the phone... I can see what I'm watching on the TV!)
Why is this a problem? Because the buttons you most need (play, pause, ff, rew) don't work until the program name loads, which it almost never does. This is especially annoying, because if you swipe right, the buttons on that screen (arrows, select, guide, menu, etc) all work fine. So it's just really poor programming that the main screen isn't functional until the name loads. (Isn't it obvious that you would want those buttons to function as quickly as possible even if the program name hadn't loaded yet??)
Also missing is 30-sec-ff and replay which should be on the main screen.
IPhone 6 plus user .
I love this app. I almost never use it at home on my network. (But why do I need to there's several tvs here) I use it mostly to watch Fox News at work. And it works great all the time for me! But I have full LTE service where I live and work. (Sprint, I'm 21 can't afford Verizon's outrageous data!! Switched 3 months ago. My phone bill is a 1/3 of what it was.)
You need 2.4ghz
If your app isn't working and you know your directv box is connected to the network. Check to see what frequency it is on. Before I got a new router everything worked great, my new router has duel band. Directv runs on 2.4 automatically. iOS devices run on 5 ghz. You have to disable the 5 ghz so everything is on the same frequency.
It took a Google chromecast forum to figure that out.
Hope it helps
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: May 08, 2015
- Version: 4.0.107
- Size: 66.9 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: DIRECTV
- ©2015 DIRECTV, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.