Editorial is a plain text editor for iOS with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for Markdown, TaskPaper, and Fountain documents.
* Inline Markdown/Fountain Preview – With Editorial's subtle syntax highlighting, you can see your document's formatting immediately while you're writing. And when you need a full HTML preview, it's just a swipe away.
* Extensible with Workflows and Scripts – Select from over 50 text processing actions to create your own workflows for extending Editorial's feature set. For even more advanced automation, you can write Python scripts with an integrated code and UI editor.
* Dropbox Sync – The sync folder is customizable, so you can easily edit your documents with multiple apps.
* Smart Keyboard – The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown and includes all the special characters you need. You can also control the cursor with simple swipe gestures.
* Snippets – Quickly insert frequently-used pieces of text by typing abbreviations. Snippets can include dynamic text, e.g. the current date or clipboard contents. TextExpander™ snippets are also supported.
* In-App Browser – If you need to do some quick research while writing, you don't have to leave the app for that. You can even open multiple tabs.
* "Folding" allows you to quickly hide individual sections of your document while you're writing.
*** *** ***
“It would be hard to imagine a better editor, let alone recommend one that actually exists.” — The Verge
“This is it. Editorial sets a new standard for third-party iOS automation, and, for me, there’s no going back.” — Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Editorial just reinvented iOS text editing.” — Merlin Mann
Bugfixes for Dropbox sync and workflows with custom UI.
Ratings and Reviews
Don't waste your time or money on this dog of an app
Spent over a hour with this buggy and largely unusable text editor. Impossible to get back to file menu once doc is complete; top row of keys appears and disappears; slide finger to move cursor does not work unless top row is absent and no evident way to make that happen consistently. You can begin new doc at first but then next to impossible to start another doc or return to menu. Only thing that functions as it should is the share sheet. Sure the cost is cheap but you get what you pay for and in this case you get next to nothing. The positive reviewers for this app must either be shills or living in a fantasy world.
Developer Not Updating, No iPhone X Support
The developer is MIA. It *was* the best plain text editor with Markdown and Dropbox support, but, given that the developer barely updates it once a year and doesn't reply to direct/private messages on Twitter asking when it will be updated to support the iPhone X, I think it's safe to say that the app has been abandoned at this point. I'd be happy to change this review if the developer updates the app once in a while, but I've moved on to another app. I don't love it as much as I loved Editorial, but I'd rather support another developer who is still improving his app than try to work with software that isn't getting the attention it needs.
Excellent professional level app
Editorial is a serious application that has outstanding multiple capacities from simple text editing to Python programming. It is almost the Emacs of iPhones. It's modal interface takes some getting used to. Expect to spend a few hours before going into the field to take notes. You will be rewarded by this well thought out and professional level application.
- Ole Zorn
- 280.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2015 omz:software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.