Got an English text and want to see how to pronounce it? This app will turn your English text into its phonetic transcription using International Phonetic Alphabet.
- See phonetic transcription of the whole text, not just the dictionary forms of separate words.
- Choose between British and American* pronunciation. When British dialect is selected the [r] sound at the end of the word is only voiced if followed by a vowel, which follows British phonetic convention.
- International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols used.
- The structure of the text and sentences in it (line breaks, punctuation marks, etc.) is preserved in phonetic transcription output making it easier to read.
- You can output the text and its phonetic transcription along each other line-by-line to make back-reference to the original text easier.
- An option to vary pronunciation depending on whether words are in stressed or weak position in the sentence, as in connected speech.
- In addition to commonly used vocabulary the database contains a very substantial amount of place names (including names of countries, their capitals, US states, UK counties), nationalities and popular names.
- Where a word has a number of possible pronunciations (highlighted in blue in the output) you can select the one that agrees with the context by tapping on it.
- Print out the output results, share via email or copy to pasteboard.
- Let the built-in speech synthesiser read your text out loud. Control the playback and follow IPA transcription of the current word with a highlight.
Gestures (IPA transcription screen):
1. Single tap
- Tap a word to set the cursor to it and speak it (you can mute/un-mute it with the button at your bottom-right).
- Tap in a blank space to stop speech and hide the cursor.
- Double-tap a word to open it in the built-in dictionary; if the word has multiple pronunciations you'll see the list of them first.
- Double-tap in a blank space to reset the font to the size set in iOS preferences.
3. Pinch in or out to make the text smaller or larger.
4. Start to slide horizontally to select a part of your text. The Speak button respects current selection.
*) American transcriptions are based on the open Carnegie Mellon University Pronouncing Dictionary.
- fixed the issue where the app would freeze on older devices;
- minor improvements to handling of result selection;
Ratings and Reviews
The voice to text/IPA is fantastic on this app. So much better than apple iPhone speech to text. This app gets all of the text correct and the transcription is spot on! Only wish it transcribed the American 'r' inverted as it should be in IPA. Now if we could only use speech to text feature to instantly transcribe speech sound disorders!
This is so what I need.
For poetry analysis, this is what I'm looking for. Will recommend it to others. Baffled by any 1 star reviews.
Why only English? English is one of many languages. Why can’t there be more? Think on a broader scale people. Also I’m a Vocalist apps like think can be ideal for international words/languages. Don’t always like using Google translator to find IPAs.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your very constructive and reasonable review. 🙄
- Mu-sonic Ltd
- 30 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013 Mu-sonic Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.