Final Cut Pro
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Completely redesigned from the ground up, Final Cut Pro adds extraordinary speed, quality, and flexibility to every part of the post-production workflow.
Revolutionary Video Editing
• Assemble clips in the Magnetic Timeline without clip collisions or sync problems
• Use Clip Connections to attach B-roll, sound effects, and music to the timeline
• Reduce clutter by grouping clips into a Compound Clip.
• Perfect your pacing right in the timeline with the Inline Precision Editor
• Cycle through different shots, graphics, or effects at one place in the timeline with Auditions
• Edit multi-camera projects with automatic sync and support for up to 64 camera angles
Powerful Media Organization
• Organize your work within libraries for efficient media management and collaboration
• Work natively with a broad range of formats including RED, AVCHD, H.264 from DSLRs, and more
• Content Auto-Analysis captures camera metadata and analyzes shots in the background
• Create and apply custom keywords on the fly as you select ranges in clips
• Smart Collections let you dynamically organize content and find any shot in a few clicks
• Final Cut Pro uses all the GPUs in your Mac for superior real-time playback performance and fast background rendering
• 64-bit architecture uses all the RAM in your system for larger projects and richer effects
• Background processing lets you keep working without interruption
• External monitoring lets you route video and audio through HDMI or third-party Thunderbolt and PCIe devices
Compelling, Customizable Effects
• Beautifully animated, easily customizable 2D and 3D titles
• Preview effects to see how they look with your footage before applying them
• Change the look of titles, transitions, and effects using intuitive controls
• Control effects with precision using a keyframe editor that appears directly in the timeline
• Use third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces and dual-GPU support
Integrated Audio Editing
• Expand and edit multichannel audio files directly in the timeline
• Let Final Cut Pro repair significant audio problems such as hum, excessive noise, and more
• Sync DSLR video with separate audio in a single step, with instant audio waveform matching
Intuitive Color Grading
• Improve the look of any clip with the single-click Balance Color feature
• Apply the Match Color feature to match the looks of two clips shot under different conditions
• Manipulate color, saturation, and exposure with the Color Board
• Fine tune color for a specific color range or area of the screen using keying and masks
One-Step, Optimized Output
• Deliver projects for playback on Apple devices and websites such as Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook
• Use themed menus to quickly author and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc
• Export customized audio stems and multiple versions of a finished video using Roles metadata
• Import and export XML to support third-party workflows
System Requirements: OS X v10.10.4 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K), OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later, 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K and 3D titles), 4.15GB of disk space.
Some features require Internet access; additional fees may apply. Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs.
What's New in Version 10.2.2
• Native support for Sony XAVC-L and Panasonic AVC-Intra 4:4:4 up to 4K resolution
• Import Canon XF-AVC 8-bit video files with Canon plug-in
• Export interlaced H.264 video
• Asset management systems can include a library backup file when sharing from Final Cut Pro
• Fixes render errors that may occur when using reflective materials with 3D text
• Improves stability when swapping materials on 3D text with published parameters
• Improves performance when loading text styles
• Motion Title templates with published text layout parameters now export correctly
• Fixes an issue that may cause 3D text to appear dark when rendered
• Addresses issues with timing on certain animated effects
Introduced in Version 10.2
Introducing 3D titles
• Beautifully animated and easily customizable 3D text
• Simple templates to get started quickly
• Cinematic templates with built-in backgrounds and animations
• Large collection of text styles to create stunning looks in one click
• Customize your titles with hundreds of combinations of materials, lighting, and edges
• Additional controls let you adjust environments, shadows, and more
• Instantly convert any 2D title to 3D
• Open any title in Motion to add multiple lights, cameras, and tracking
• Display up to four video scopes simultaneously
• Apply super ellipse Shape mask to any clip
• Apply Draw mask to any clip, with options for linear, bezier, or B-spline smoothing
• New Shape and Color mask controls for every effect
• Instantly display the alpha channel for any effect mask
• Save custom effects as presets for quick access
• Color Board merged into the new Color Correction effect
• Rearrange the processing order of Color Correction effect
• Improved keyframing with better motion smoothing
• Improved optical flow for beautiful slow motion on a wider range of content
• Better performance of FxPlug plug-ins and built-in effects that use multiple frames like Visual Echo and Trails
• Panasonic AVC-Ultra codec family
• Sony XAVC-S
• Import Sony XAVC and XDCAM formats without separate plug-in
• JVC H.264 Long GOP
• GPU-accelerated RED RAW processing with support for dual GPUs
• Support for RED RAW anamorphic formats
• Smart Collections can be used at the event and library level
• Import window consolidates all options into single sidebar
• GPU rendering when using Send to Compressor with support for dual GPUs
Stunning results with amazing ease of use!
The old versions of Final Cut usually left me digging through tutorials and reading third-party books to figure out how to accomplish things. When I moved to this new Final Cut, I no longer got migraines over how to accomplish various tasks. It is drop-dead easy to understand. I was editing without having to look up a single thing. The Keyer is so good I hardly ever have to make adjustments except for aesthetic reasons! In most cases, I no longer have to go to an audio application to clean up audio background noise. Overall, I just cannot praise this software enough. I know many who were expert at previous versions were frustrated by this new Final Cut, but even its harshest critic finally admitted to me that projects now take half the time and look better, too. And the huge library of effects available from third-party developers is mind-boggling! Now we get 3D type, too! It’s like Christmas every day for this user!
Latest Update Introduces Sluggishness
FCX is a great, powerful video editor. There’s little that I’ve thrown at it that it couldn’t do — and for those things, I’ve leaned on Motion. The ease of edits, searching the library with smart collections, adding powerful transitions and effects and basic color correction, is quite amazing. I’d still love to have a copy/paste for settings between clips, but that’s been requested so many times that I’m not 100% sure that the FCX team even cares.
Other than a few minor missing features, I’m pleased with the product. It doesn’t matter if I’m working on a powerful workstation or a macbook air, the program is pretty responsive. That’s really impressive, considering the sheer amount of media that I’m throwing at it.
I would love to see native Compressor support so I could initiate a batch network encode directly from FCX.
It’s amazing and brilliant (once you get used to it).
Here are my steps for learning Final Cut Pro X:
1) Try something the normal way.
2) Fail completely; throw something across room.
3) Look up thing I want to do in a tutorial.
4) Succeed wildly and realize that Final Cut Pro X will do everything I want even faster than the old normal way.
Apple has pretty much reimagined how a nonlinear editor works, which is a brave and bold move. I think it is absolutely brilliant. The audio linking in particular is (once you get used to it) amazingly quick, flexible and intuitive. Each of the tools does more than one thing without keyboard shortcuts, which is a really neat time saver…once you get used to it.
In a nutshell, this is a great piece of software with which impatient veteran editors may have a tough time. I had the time to sit with it, kick it in the tires, get frustrated with it, and now I love it. I strongly recommend this for people editing at home and those just learning, with the caveat that this software is a radical departure from other NLE software (so many of the tools and conventions you learn here will not be applicable in editing bays not using Final Cut Pro X). My hope is, however, that FCP X tools and conventions will become the industry norm because I now actually prefer them.