Final Cut Pro
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Completely redesigned from the ground up, Final Cut Pro adds extraordinary speed, quality, and flexibility to every part of the post-production workflow.
Revolutionary Video Editing
• Assemble clips in the Magnetic Timeline without clip collisions or sync problems
• Use Clip Connections to attach B-roll, sound effects, and music to the timeline
• Reduce clutter by grouping clips into a Compound Clip.
• Perfect your pacing right in the timeline with the Inline Precision Editor
• Cycle through different shots, graphics, or effects at one place in the timeline with Auditions
• Edit multi-camera projects with automatic sync and support for up to 64 camera angles
Powerful Media Organization
• Organize your work within libraries for efficient media management and collaboration
• Work natively with a broad range of formats including RED, AVCHD, H.264 from DSLRs, and more
• Content Auto-Analysis captures camera metadata and analyzes shots in the background
• Create and apply custom keywords on the fly as you select ranges in clips
• Smart Collections let you dynamically organize content and find any shot in a few clicks
• Final Cut Pro uses all the GPUs in your Mac for superior real-time playback performance and fast background rendering
• 64-bit architecture uses all the RAM in your system for larger projects and richer effects
• Background processing lets you keep working without interruption
• External monitoring lets you route video and audio through HDMI or third-party Thunderbolt and PCIe devices
Compelling, Customizable Effects
• Beautifully animated, easily customizable 2D and 3D titles
• Preview effects to see how they look with your footage before applying them
• Change the look of titles, transitions, and effects using intuitive controls
• Control effects with precision using a keyframe editor that appears directly in the timeline
• Use third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces and dual-GPU support
Integrated Audio Editing
• Expand and edit multichannel audio files directly in the timeline
• Let Final Cut Pro repair significant audio problems such as hum, excessive noise, and more
• Sync DSLR video with separate audio in a single step, with instant audio waveform matching
Intuitive Color Grading
• Improve the look of any clip with the single-click Balance Color feature
• Apply the Match Color feature to match the looks of two clips shot under different conditions
• Manipulate color, saturation, and exposure with the Color Board
• Fine tune color for a specific color range or area of the screen using keying and masks
One-Step, Optimized Output
• Deliver projects for playback on Apple devices and websites such as Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook
• Use themed menus to quickly author and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc
• Export customized audio stems and multiple versions of a finished video using Roles metadata
• Import and export XML to support third-party workflows
System Requirements: OS X v10.10.2 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K), OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later, 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K and 3D titles), 4.15GB of disk space.
Some features require Internet access; additional fees may apply. Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs.
What's New in Version 10.2.1
• Restores support for Panasonic AVCCAM video at 25p and 30p
• Improves accuracy when dragging to select a range in the Timeline
• Fixes an issue that may cause Final Cut Pro to quit on launch
Introduced in Version 10.2
Requires OS X 10.10.2 or later
Introducing 3D titles
• Beautifully animated and easily customizable 3D text
• Simple templates to get started quickly
• Cinematic templates with built-in backgrounds and animations
• Large collection of text styles to create stunning looks in one click
• Customize your titles with hundreds of combinations of materials, lighting, and edges
• Additional controls let you adjust environments, shadows, and more
• Instantly convert any 2D title to 3D
• Open any title in Motion to add multiple lights, cameras, and tracking
• Display up to four video scopes simultaneously
• Apply super ellipse Shape mask to any clip
• Apply Draw mask to any clip, with options for linear, bezier, or B-spline smoothing
• New Shape and Color mask controls for every effect
• Instantly display the alpha channel for any effect mask
• Save custom effects as presets for quick access
• Color Board merged into the new Color Correction effect
• Rearrange the processing order of Color Correction effect
• Improved keyframing with better motion smoothing
• Improved optical flow for beautiful slow motion on a wider range of content
• Better performance of FxPlug plug-ins and built-in effects that use multiple frames like Visual Echo and Trails
• Panasonic AVC-Ultra codec family
• Sony XAVC-S
• Import Sony XAVC and XDCAM formats without separate plug-in
• JVC H.264 Long GOP
• GPU-accelerated RED RAW processing with support for dual GPUs
• Support for RED RAW anamorphic formats
• Smart Collections can be used at the event and library level
• Import window consolidates all options into single sidebar
• GPU rendering when using Send to Compressor with support for dual GPUs
Latest Update Introduces Sluggishness
—— Latest Review Feedback — —
I’ve got some decent sized projects (3TB) that I’m working with. This latest version has introduced the spinning wheel as a dominant feature when I’m importing files. It would appear that the hiccup is on rendering the audio waveforms, but I’m not 100% sure. This was not present prior to 10.2.1.
The effective use of background threads to keep the UI functional is also non-existent. FCX’s UI is great for those things that are designated background renderings, but if you tell it to transcode media, prepare to have the UI locked up until it completes. For some of my projects, this is a long time...
— — Application Review — —
FCX is a great, powerful video editor. There’s little that I’ve thrown at it that it couldn’t do — and for those things, I’ve leaned on Motion. The ease of edits, searching the library with smart collections, adding powerful transitions and effects and basic color correction, is quite amazing. I’d still love to have a copy/paste for settings between clips, but that’s been requested so many times that I’m not 100% sure that the FCX team even cares.
Other than a few minor missing features, I’m pleased with the product. It doesn’t matter if I’m working on a powerful workstation or a macbook air, the program is pretty responsive. That’s pretty impressive, considering the sheer amount of media that I’m throwing at it.
Multicam memory leak bug still persists
I have the new 2013 Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM and dual D700s. I still routinely run out of memory when working with mutlicam footage after anywhere from 5-20 minutes of use due to a memory leak. This requires a force quit of the application to clear the issue. Other users have also complained about this issue yet it still persists. My tools are broken, Apple. It was inexcusable to roll out this update without addressing a fatal flaw in the app.
The Not so Pro Final Cut X
Final Cut 7 was an industry wide editing system used bt proffesional editors all over the world. I broke down and finally gave final cut X a shot. All I can say it’s absolutely terrible, this is not a pro editing program on any level, even an amature film maker with no editing skills will find this program annoying, very lame and painfully slow to work with., Adobe Premier absolutely destoys Final cut. It’s fast, logical and a true proffesional application. Maybe iMovie prosumer would be a more apt title.