Focus Stacker combines sharp areas from multiple images into one seamless composite image. The focus stacking is used in macro photography for subjects like flowers, insects, jewelry, in microscope image processing, in landscape photography. The app has an advanced automatic stacking algorithm and also includes manual retouch mode allowing to have full control of the final result.
Main Focus Stacker features:
- Automatic advanced image alignment for stacking.
- Automatic detection and seamless blending of sharp image regions.
- Retouch mode allows precisely select areas from source images for complex cases where automatic selection is not possible, like moving insect antennae, similarly sharp backgrounds/foregrounds and so on.
- Built-in planar stitching. Especially useful for microscope images where the whole specimen does not fit into one frame.
- Optional exposure leveling routine available.
- All processing done in 32 bit floats, import in all image formats supported by macOS (including those in Apple Raw), export in 16 bit TIFF or 8 bit JPEG/PNG.
- Retouch mode. The feature allows to precisely select areas from source images those are used in composite image for complex cases, like moving insect antennae, similarly sharp backgrounds/foregrounds etc.
- Stacking performance on large (30+ source image) stacks improved.
- Support for Dark mode.
- Crop to original size option was removed
Ratings and Reviews
Does the job well.
I have used this app to stack from 5 to 10 RAW files for macrophotography and been happy with the results. Comparable in output to some more expensive apps. I also liked that it stitched the images in two dimenstions, which is nice for hand-held shots.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.