Fog of World
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Go around the world and remember everywhere you have been in your whole life journey!
Fog of World is a real-life game that you need to remove the fog on the map by exploring around the world. It's a fantastic way to find out where you have and haven't been in your lifetime.
○ This Fog of World App Might Be the Funnest App I’ve Seen in a Long Time
- Casey Chan, Gizmodo
○ We don't remember the last time we've run into an app that is as interesting as Fog of World
- Kevin Smith, Business Insider
○ Fog of World turns moving through your city and your world into a game of exploration (Rating: 8/10)
- Paula DuPont, AppStorm
○ Original worldwide location tracking game that will make you want to explore every street in your city and far wider (Rating: 92/100)
- LITTLE APP REVIEW
○ Fog of World uses the fog of war from videogames to gamify traveling
- The Awesomer
○ Was holding the 1st position for top stories on Hacker News!
- Hacker News (267 points, 154 comments. Sep. 30, 2012)
○ Top 10 Innovative New Apps Made in Taiwan
- Tech in Asia (Aug. 6, 2013)
- Record where you have been using GPS-enabled iOS devices
- Locations are also recorded when app is running in the background
- Fog covers where you haven't been on the map (just like the Fog of War in strategy games)
- Show the percentage of area your have explored around the world, around a continent, or even around a country
- Support for importing GPX and KML files
- Support for sync and backup through Dropbox
- Integrated with the Game Center
● Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.7.6
* Shows app icon badge along notification when app crashed unexpectedly
* Improves some reverse geocoding results
* Improves support for KML file format
Awesome but never updated
This is a great app that makes it fun to go and explore new places. I wish that some app updates would come. The app has not been updated in over a year. There are a few improvements/features which I would love to see. 1) The ability to use miles instead of kilometers. 2) The ability to have areas that you "unfog" multiple times change color, so that certain colors mean you have been to the place several or many times. 3) More achievable challenges and/or achievements. For example things that you could do locally. Maybe explore a connected area totally 1 sq mile. Not just travel to another continent. 4) More social integration. Let me add comments or flags to places I love. I don't mean venues or restaurants necessarily. Just let me drop a flag and say something about the area to tell my friends or the world. 5) iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support
Overall, it's a joy to use as is, but some more work could make it fantastic.
With an resolution update, I will give it a five-star rating
This is a fine app to have on your phone. I found myself significantly more willing to go out, explore new routes, and wandering around the neighborhood. It does exactly what it promises to do, and with the new iPhone's big battery, you can afford to leave the app running in the background.
However, I seriously hope that the developers will update this app the take advantage of the new iPhone's higher resolution. The current version looks a bit clunky on the bigger screen.
Last but not least, I have a suggestion for the developer. You may seek to be acquired by some of the map and navigation company, maybe Google or Nokia, with this app's function integrated into a map, there will be a huge increase in user basis and much easier to keep track.
Fun! Addicting! Use it all the time
My newest hobby is to keep the app on whenever I travel to try to get more routes uncovered. It was a battery drain on my iPhone 4 but my iPhone 5 is much better at both the battery and GPS signal. I've asked for a GPS for my birthday just to keep a better track of where I have been!!
I wish it had a few more features like the ability to draw in areas somehow skipped by our phones, the ability to see others' maps, and more badges that we can acquire. I'm still waiting on the update because my trip to Russia still isn't included and technical support didn't know why.
Also, I've noticed that many people use the app when flying, and I consider that cheating because you're not really on the ground exploring. - but that's a personal opinion.
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Jan 17, 2014
- Version: 1.7.6
- Size: 27.4 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Ollix
- © 2014 Ollix
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.