By Found Software, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Found provides a lightning-fast, intuitive search experience that finds files across your Mac and personal cloud services, including Dropbox, Evernote, SkyDrive, Google Drive/Docs, and Gmail (attachments).
With a double tap of the control key, Found slides out to reveal its unique Palette user interface. Start typing and get immediate results with an instant, full-sized preview of nearly any file, even files in the cloud.
"The key to Found is speed." --ReadWriteWeb
"Once you install it on your computer, looking for things in Found quickly becomes second nature." --TechCrunch
"Being able to preview all of the files fitting a search criteria without changing browsers or windows is pretty awesome." --TheNextWeb
"…people store so much personal data in the "cloud," that [just] searching your own local computer…kind of misses the point." --CNET
"…there are some nice touches that reflect smart, careful design…" --VentureBeat
* Get back to the file you just downloaded or were recently using by typing a few characters
* Quickly look up a file or note and glance at its contents without having to dig through Finder and launch an application
* No need to log into Google Drive/Docs or Gmail just to look at or re-download a file/attachment
* Drag and drop search results into local folders as copies or emails as attachments
* Search and preview files and notes whether you're online or offline
What sources does Found search?
* Your Mac's hard drive and attached external drives
* Evernote - attach multiple accounts
* Google Drive/Docs and Gmail attachments - attach multiple Google accounts, both personal and Google Apps accounts
How does search work in Found?
* Immediately responsive, character-by-character search
* Search using just partial word prefixes - the whole word is rarely necessary. Type 'mov' for results with 'movie', 'move', and 'moving'.
* No hard-to-remember query commands to learn - type 'pdf' to look up PDF documents or 'alan' for Google Drive/Docs shared with Alan
* Found indexes each file's name, path, and, if applicable, email from/to/subject fields or Google Drive/Docs last-modified-by name
How secure and private is Found?
* All your logins and passwords are securely stored in encrypted form in your Mac's Keychain
* Found connects your Mac directly to your personal cloud services with no intermediary to index your personal data
* All searching is done locally on your Mac. No server is involved.
Find out more at foundapp.com.
What's New in Version 1.2.5
Performance improvements and bug fixes in Evernote search.
Awesome but with room for improvement
Thank you so much for designing an app that can search better than Spotlight! Everyone claims to have done this, but still there are files that don't pop up in their search. For whatever reason, Spotlight and other services only display privileged files, which is apparently affected by whether it was recently opened. But Found doesn't have this limitation. It quickly pulls up all my files, no matter whether I've recently opened them. As a professor working with a bunch of documents (especially research articles), this is immensely important to have! (Note: I think the ability to search Dropbox separately is what helps to avoid this. So it's a very nice feature!)
With that said, there are just a few features I was quite surprised to see missing. (1) Ability to hide the menubar Found icon. (2) Ability to not automatically preview the first file of the search [I'd rather my screen not be automatically cluttered]. (3) Ability to exclude certain folders within a searched folder.
Hands down helped our small business digital filing process. SO EASY!
I must say that this application has done wonders for our once (and still) horrendously unorganized dropbox, multiple gmail accounts, ICloud and evernote filing process without us needing to spend weeks tediously putting everything in the correct folders. All you have to do is make sure you save all your documents with key tagged names and it will sort through your Dropbox, Email, ICloud, Evernote, Etc. Accounts and bring up the files with the keywords you have searched for and provide you with a large preview of the document when your cursor hovers over the file name to help you see that you have the right file. Then all you need to do is double click the file to open it! I love the easy keystroke access they set up and would recommend this application to anyone who doesnt have the time to tediously create electronic folders for every digital file but wants to be able to find any file with relative ease!
The missing link...
I’ve been using ‘Found’ for more than a year on the Mac and I have found (sorry couldn’t resist) that it is in fact one of the most useful utilities I have ever used. This application combined with ‘1Password’ adds a level of convenience, organization, and speed, for locating information that most Mac users have yet to experience.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe the developer realizes what they have on their hands and how much more successful they could be if they would simply continue to develop this program.
This application essentially picks up where ‘Spotlight’ leaves off by adding a more targeted search result that can also be dragged and dropped into any source destination e.g. mail, etc. Highly recommended!