By Julien-Pierre Averous
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FStream is as little webradio player.
FStream recognize this audio formats :
- OGG / Vorbis
- WMA over MMS
- AAC / AAC+
And this playlist formats :
What's New in Version 1.0.7
- Correction of a parameters backup problem.
Plays in the background! Customizable to allow/disallow playback over cellular!
I'm running this on my iPhone 4 with IOS 4.2.1. This app is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for!
1) Understands pretty much all formats of streams used on Internet Radio
2) Allows you to decide whether to allow or to not allow playback over cellular network. Very useful as my wife sometimes forgets to shut the radio off before taking the phone from the dock and putting it in her pocket. So I just changed "More->Cellular Network = OFF" and that's it - the radio shuts off automatically when she is no longer within the reach of our home WiFi. At the same time, we can still play it even over cellular network if we need to (say, the kids are getting fussy and want to listed to a story, etc) - in that case we make a conscious step to enable cellular playback and keep track of time to avoid AT&T surcharges (we are on 2GB/month plan).
3) Playback continue in the background! I can turn my favorite Internet Radio on and then go on with my life of reading and replying to emails, viewing presentations, etc etc.
1) No way to customize the home screen - can't change the background, skin, or anytthing like that.
Great radio app, but could use a couple of features...
Don't get me wrong, I really, really like FStream. It's put together well, and most everything about it makes sense. There are, however, a couple of changes I would make to the software in order to improve it for that 5th star -
1) Add the ability to import and export radio stations as either a standard text document or XML format data.
2) Create a desktop-side program that links up to FStream, in order to do file management for recordings and station management. It can even be a JAVA, Flash, or Silverlight based webapp that runs inside the browser.
3) Add nesting for radio station genres, similar to what iTunes does with it's radio stations.
Otherwise, I've enjoyed this app for a while now and I love the fact that I can be in the car and listening to a friend of mine's internet radio station wherever I have 3G service (my wife and I have a Verizon 3G router, which is useful on long trips).
Updated - so the new version works fine on iPhone 4 but not so much for the first gen iPod Touch thanks to the iOS 4 limitation. However, there's NOTHING in this app that needs iOS 4. recompile it with iOS 3.x compatibility and I'll give the stars back. Oh, and you can add iOS 4 features without breaking compatibility with iOS 3 and even iOS 2 (but why on earth would you still run iOS 2?)
This app let me do everything I was looking for and more. I was ready to pay the asking price for any app that would play Coast to Coast radio for free. The shoutcast app will do it but there's no multitasking. This app not only plays the stream, but lets you pause/time shift a live stream, record radio programs, and allows multitasking. I haven't thrown a stream at it yet that it didn't play beautifully. Interface is straight forward. Wouldn't change a thing, except maybe allowing a lower quality recording that takes up less space for spoken word. Great app!