GarageBand is the easiest way to create a great-sounding song on your Mac. Add realistic, impeccably produced and performed drum grooves to your song with Drummer. Easily shape the sound of any instrument in the Sound Library with Smart Controls. Crank up the bottom end with Bass Amp Designer, or mix and match electric guitar amps, cabinets, and pedals with Amp Designer and Pedalboard. Control GarageBand and play any software instrument wirelessly on your iPad using the Logic Remote app. Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects updated across multiple Mac computers, or even import GarageBand for iOS songs directly from iCloud.
• A fresh new look, designed for easy music making
• Find the sweet spot in every track with the interactive visual EQ
• Support for Touch Bar on the MacBook Pro lets you quickly fine-tune sounds, navigate around your project, and perform instruments
• Enable Quick Help and get useful hints wherever you hover your cursor
• Add a virtual session drummer, percussionist, or beat producer to your song that takes direction and plays realistic beats
• Choose among 33 players from popular genres like EDM, Hip Hop, Rock, and Alternative
• Use a simple set of controls to shape your drummer’s performance
• Each player can perform over a million unique groove and fill combinations
• Get inspired with a fresh new collection of sounds and instruments
• Explore new Apple Loops covering the latest electronic and urban genres
• Drummer loops can be added to your song and then customized with performance controls
• Easily shape any sound in the library with a custom set of knobs, buttons, and sliders
• The look and personality of Smart Controls changes with each instrument
Amps and Stompboxes
• Use Bass Amp Designer to dial up classic and modern tones
• Build your own guitar rig with Amp Designer using 25 legendary amps and cabinets
• Design a custom Pedalboard from a collection of 35 fun and creative stompbox effects
Record. Mix. Master. Share.
• Create a song with up to 255 tracks
• Quickly change the timing of an audio recording using Flex Time
• Use Groove Track to align the rhythm and timing of all your tracks with a single click
• Choose your best performance with multi-take recording
• Export to your iTunes library or share directly to SoundCloud or Apple Music Connect
• Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects up to date across your Mac computers
• Start a song anywhere on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then import it wirelessly to your Mac to take it even further
• Remotely add new tracks to your project using GarageBand on your iPhone or iPad
Works with Logic Remote
• Use your iPhone or iPad and Multi-Touch gestures to wirelessly play any GarageBand instrument on your Mac
• Access Smart Controls on your iPad to shape any sound while you’re playing
• Navigate your song and browse the Sound Library from your iPad
Learn to Play
• Get started with 40 Basic Lessons for guitar and piano covering classical, blues, rock, and pop
• Free Artist Lessons show you how to play a hit song taught by the artist who made it famous
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Great for Free
i have used it for about a year now and have been very pleased. Granted, I am brand new at this recording and DAW stuff but as a starter it is great! Two reasons why: it is free and easy to navigate. I picked it up very quickly and to me everything is in a very convinient spot. Now looking at some of these reviews, allot of people are saying that they miss stuff from the old versions, specifically sound loops and the sound library. I can understand someone being frustrated that apple took away some stuff but for me, I wanna sit down and make music out of scratch, so I do not care about the loops at all because I like to compose my own stuff. And plus, the selection of instruments is really good. In addition, there are multiple effects and numerous amounts of musical elements you can add to the recordings of each instrument and each one varies by what they have, showing the difference in each instrument. This alone proves that a good amount of time and effort was put into making this (FREE) music DAW. So in reality, to those people that are rating this at 1 or 2 stars, you need to stop complaining about this free music app that you only had to download!!! If you really want something so spectacular, than get logic x or switch to pro tools. Just stop crapping on garage band when all it did was show up.
I’ve been using Garageband for 7 years now. Granted, this is a school laptop & I’m not any music pro, but I would say I’ve become pretty advanced with Garageband over the years. When my school reimages the Macs every school year, all of our purchased apps get automatically updated. When I was prepared to make more advanced music for college (I’m 16), I noticed something pretty off. #1, THE ARPEGGIATOR IS GONE FOR ANY KIND OF DRUM KIT. This helped me keep tempo with MANY of my projects & now it’s almost impossible to remake them in my own loop. Not to mention, some of the loops are gone too. Granted, I semi enjoy some of the new sounds like the clap & snapping, but I want my arpeggiator back. I can’t make music without it. I fell in love with this app, & I’d hate to not use it when I constantly have new tunes in my head I could make on here. I’d give this app 5 stars, but it’s now almost useless if you want to be able to produce good, on beat music. Looks like I'm going to have to save $200 to purchase Logic Pro if this doesn’t get fixed. I would really not like to have to do that because I have a lot of faith in Garageband when it comes to producing my music. Come on now Apple, you’re better than this.
I’m having mixed feelings…mostly negative ones.
I, myself, have been using GarageBand going on 5 years now. I’ll be honest that when I first started out, I liked the accessibility I had to different kinds of pianos, drum kits, and other things. The same went for the Sound Effects library, which I REALLY liked along with the Apple Loops selection. The recording software was really good, too. And a few years later, I saw even more options on instruments, which I thought was amazing! ...But as we all know, there are times in which we see odd changes. The Sound Effects library is gone, most of my favorite loops are gone, the recording software has lost its high quality, and a lot of instruments that I liked (i.e. Grand Piano On Stage, Alto Saxophone, etc.) are also gone. And with the new update, the Beat bar has been changed, so I can’t see what position I’m at. Also, the Sounds background used to look really cool, and now I don’t particularly care for it much anymore. …I’m not sure what Apple has been thinking as of late, but I really wish they could change some of these things back to how they were. I want to keep using GarageBand, but I don’t want to be using an application that I am slowly starting to dislike.
- Apple Inc.
- 1 GB
macOS 10.12 or later
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2004-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.