Gboard — a new keyboard from Google
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Gboard is a new keyboard from Google for your iPhone. It has all the things you would expect from a great keyboard — GIFs, emojis, and Glide Typing — plus Google Search built in. No more app switching; just search and send, right from your keyboard.
Search and send anything from Google:
• Nearby stores and restaurants
• Videos and images
• Weather forecasts
• News and articles
• Sports scores
• And anything else you’d search on Google
GIFs — Search GIFs for the best reaction
Emoji Search — Find the perfect emoji, faster
Glide Typing — Type faster by sliding your finger from letter to letter
We know the things you type on your phone are personal, so we’ve designed Gboard to keep your private information private.
What Gboard sends to Google:
• Gboard sends your searches to Google’s web servers to give you search results.
• Gboard also sends usage statistics to Google to let us know which features are used most often and to help us understand problems if the app crashes.
• If you use Gboard’s microphone, voice input will be sent to Google for transcription.
What Gboard doesn’t send to Google:
• Other than your searches and voice inputs, Gboard doesn't send anything you type to Google, whether it’s a password or chat with a friend.
• To help you with spelling and to predict searches you might be interested in, Gboard will store the words you type on your device. This data is not accessible by Google or by any apps, and can be cleared at any time.
• If you’ve turned on contacts search in Gboard search settings, this allows Gboard to search the contacts on your device so you can easily share. None of these queries are sent to Google.
What's New in Version 1.3.1
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
• 15 new languages — Gboard now works in Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Polish, Romanian, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Malay, Russian, Latin American Spanish, and Turkish
• Voice typing — Just long press on the space bar to dictate messages on the go
• Google Doodles — Get fun updates to the Google logo celebrating special dates throughout the year, like holidays, events, and famous birthdays. Just tap the “G” button whenever it animates to see that day’s Doodle.
• New Emoji — Gboard is now updated with the latest iOS 10 emoji
In love. 100% recommended
Edit: I saw that Arabic keyboard is coming soon and was super excited but it's been quite a while. How soon?
Also, I'd love it if we have the option to choose between different sounds for key taps. Other than that, I've been using this for months and I'm super happy with it. Will raise rating to 5 stars once I get my arabic keyboard :D
I've been using this keyboard for about two weeks now and I absolutely love it. It has everything you'd want and things you didn't even think you needed. The embedded search engine is awesome (whether for emojis, gifs, and other stuff). The gliding is surprisingly accurate and gets the word you wanna type almost always (and it's likely to be in the suggestions when it doesn't). It's very fast to adapt to your most used words and shortcuts without correcting them a hundred times first. I could go on. Seriously. I can't believe it's free but it would be worth every penny if it weren't. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star rating is that it's only in English and I still have to use Apple's keyboard for my first language.
Better than iPhone default
Practically everything about it is great. The only thing I'd change is the ability to manage the personal dictionary. I don't remember the search feature although they highlight it a bit. And some apps with the pervious version of the keyboard don't consider that this keyboard is a little taller than the standard keyboard (I haven't tested with this version). I also use zoom mode so that could be a factor too. Sometimes you can tab through form fields or go landscape to get to the send buttons. Lastly, the iPhone sometimes switches back to the standard keyboard. Not sure why but it gets annoying when you start swiping and realize nothing is typing. This latest update fixed the challenge when you're finger goes a tad above the top row. Previously it wouldn't type the word and only type the key you ended on. This new version is much easier to use!! Overall this keyboard is still superb and highly recommended.
Getting Better but Not Perfect...Yet!
This is getting and finally, FINALLY has voice dictation but with that comes another thing to be improved. Google fixed the little bug that kept shutting off voice dictation if you happened to have the Assistive Software Home button in play. That has been solved now, however, it now needs to listen for when the speaker is truly done. I speak a few works wait a second and it shuts off. The built-in voice dictation feature waits for the speaker to be finished. The other thing bug I'd like to see go away is that the keyboard keeps popping up even when a hardware keyboard is plugged in (iPad Pro 9.7). The built-in keyboard senses when a keyboard is plugged in and does not rise to be used unless the user calls invokes it. It gets annoying having to swipe it down. Otherwise, it's getting better. The only other feature that would allow me to delete the default keyboard is the handwriting feature. Get that built in and we're good to go!
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 28, 2017
- Version: 1.3.1
- Size: 152 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.