Gboard — a new keyboard from Google
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Gboard is a new keyboard from Google for your iPhone. It has all the things you would expect from a great keyboard — GIFs, emojis, and Glide Typing — plus Google Search built in. No more app switching; just search and send, right from your keyboard.
Search and send anything from Google:
• Nearby stores and restaurants
• Videos and images
• Weather forecasts
• News and articles
• Sports scores
• And anything else you’d search on Google
GIFs — Search GIFs for the best reaction
Emoji Search — Find the perfect emoji, faster
Glide Typing — Type faster by sliding your finger from letter to letter
We know the things you type on your phone are personal, so we’ve designed Gboard to keep your private information private.
What Gboard sends to Google:
• Gboard sends your searches to Google’s web servers to give you search results.
• Gboard also sends usage statistics to Google to let us know which features are used most often and to help us understand problems if the app crashes.
• If you use Gboard’s microphone, voice input will be sent to Google for transcription.
What Gboard doesn’t send to Google:
• Other than your searches and voice inputs, Gboard doesn't send anything you type to Google, whether it’s a password or chat with a friend.
• To help you with spelling and to predict searches you might be interested in, Gboard will store the words you type on your device. This data is not accessible by Google or by any apps, and can be cleared at any time.
• If you’ve turned on contacts search in Gboard search settings, this allows Gboard to search the contacts on your device so you can easily share. None of these queries are sent to Google.
What's New in Version 1.7.0
• Gboard now supports Arabic, Persian, and Hebrew!
Okay, needs more work.
So, I'm reading all the previews and I see that people are providing criticism and ideas for improvements. Here are mine. As others before me mentioned any keyboard that wants to be competitive now days need to include multiple languages. I type in more than one language and until I have that feature I won't be able to switch from Swype. Also (as in Swype) we need to have shortcuts in order to be able to use dots, commas, and all other symbols. A microphone would be great to be able to speak words. And as someone else mentioned a scrolling is also a must. I can't see what I'm typing unless I scroll manually every line. On the plus side this keyboard is excellent on typing without mistakes. Google search is I believe something that no one else's offering. So it's a great start I will be keeping an eye on improvements. This app has a lot of potential it just needs to arrive there.
Here's an update to my review I wrote a year ago. I see that some of the ideas I asked for actually work now. Like multiple languages. Thank you Google. I'm still hoping for the shortcuts and scrolling. You guys are moving in the right direction and it is appreciated.
This keyboard is stable, the auto correction is similar to that of the stock keyboard. The predictions are better in certain ways and worse in others. The idea of the search being on top of the keyboard is amusing sometimes but overall I honestly haven't really found myself using it much. The slide to type function is pretty good but it has suffered from one issue since this keyboard came out. That's the fact that you can't have the sounds enabled. Otherwise you hear the keyboard clicking sounds more than just the initial press. It happens each time you slide over the letters
Great, except that when you backspace immediately after an autocorrection it reverts the word back to the original, essentially an undo function, but often times it doesn't offer the correct word to autocorrect again. I seem to backspace a lot for punctuation after an autocorrection but the keyboard reverts so I have to sit there screwing around with the word(s) I just typed to get them to appear correct again. Frustrating! Please make the backsapce undo feature an OPTION or just take it away! :-)
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jul 13, 2017
- Version: 1.7.0
- Size: 131 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.