GhostReader Plus provides the ultimate Text to Speech authoring solution allowing you to quickly and easily write, edit and markup your text with speech Tags. Create beautiful audiobooks, lively podcasts or proofread your screenplay with all characters having their own voice. You can get full control over which language and voice to use at any moment or let the Automatic Language Detection do that for you.
GhostReader Plus also allows you to listen to almost any text on your Mac. Let GhostReader Plus read selected text from other apps with full playback control, listen to Word, PDF and other documents while you do something else, export text to iTunes audio tracks to listen on the go or use GhostReader Plus to write and proofread your work.
GhostReader Plus is currently localized in English and French, but can be used to read text with Text to Speech voices many languages.
-- A fully functional 15-day trial version can be downloaded at http://www.convenienceware.com/ghostreader --
Take control with tags
- Use tags to define reading speed, voice, language, volume or text that should not be read
- Read multilingual texts with automatic language detection
- Create your own custom tags to define "characters"
Read selected text aloud from any app
- Use the Services menu or Action extension to select and read text from any application
- Control GhostReader Plus with system-wide shortcuts, even when GhostReader is running in the background
- Paure, rewind, fast forward and jump to next or previous paragraph
Use with different text formats
- Import PDF, Word (doc/docx), plain text and RTF documents*
- Read texts with word highlighting and playback control
- Edit or save the selected text
Compose your own or personalize texts
- Use the intuitive formatting features to style your text
- Edit text and tags quickly by using search and replace
- Zoom your text for easy reading and writing
Fine-tune your reading experience
- Adjust the pronunciation of words
- Choose a voice and adjust speech rate
- Read with word or sentence highlighting
Listen to your text anywhere you go
- Export your text to an iTunes audio file
- Create personal and educational podcasts
- Listen to the audio file on your phone, tablet or mp3 player
Protect your GhostReader documents
- Password protect the preferences
- Restrict access to text formatting
- Use read-only mode to prevent accidental editing
*Also reads odt, txt, utxt, and html documents
GhostReader Plus 2.2.1 contains several small bug fixes, including issues with speech pausing after every tag, reported in the GhostReader Plus 2.2 update.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve used GhostReader for almost ten years. The voices were great. Now I have to re-purchase the voices at a cost of $15 each. EACH!
Apple’s voices are lousy (I’m NOT talking about Siri). Also the steps to activate a voice is really complicated.
A Capable, Well-Rounded Package
With this new version, GhostReader takes a giant leap forward. I compared it to the text-to-speech software I was using (another brand) and found it more capable, easier to use, and producing better results. With the default voice, volume and speed hidden away in the program preferences for safe keeping, I appreciate the tag system, which makes changing voices, languages and other parameters simple and quick; this is the reason I opted for the Plus version. Additionally, the texts I listen to often have a specialized vocabulary, so I welcome the custom pronunciation capability. The diversity of input and output file types, including audio file export, makes the software compatible with most users' technical needs. All in all, this is well thought out, well written software.
Hi, thank you very much for your positive review and feedback. We are glad to know you like the tags and the custom pronunciations.
I like it
I really like this pro version of their app. I had used a more simple voice reading program before but this one can really save you a lot of time. It can read in multiple voices, and it can let you globally fix pronunciation problems with thier prefernces.
I only gripe is that I want to disable voices that I never use. But there may be a way to do this that I am just missing. I have disabled voices in my system preferences, but still see all the voices listed under my possible choices in the tool, so it make this part a little frustrating to use.
I am still exploring features, so I may post an updated review later. But if your one the fence, this is a good purchase.
Hi, thank you very much for your positive comments. We are glad to know you like the multiple voices and custom pronunciations. As GhostReader Plus uses the languages and voices that are installed in macOS, you need to disable them in System Preferences. In the current macOS, compact voices are not completely uninstall from your computer and therefore still show up in the app.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.