By Dan Costin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** DON'T FORGET TO USE THE UDPATE BUTTON TO GET THE LATEST INSPECTION RESULTS. WEEKLY UPDATES AVAILABLE ***
*** If there's a crash after you update, you found a bug created by a recent Apple software update. You need to delete the app and reinstall it from the App Store. Sorry! Fix coming soon.
Before you eat, inspect the restaurant! All New York City restaurants on a map, color-coded to reveal the grade provided by the health department. (Green is good; red is bad.) Use your current location to see a map of the immediate area or search for your favorite place. Click through to read a history of its inspections and health violations, then decide to skip dinner, maybe.
Find the nearest A-rated Chinese restaurant, or see all the coffee in Queens, White Castles in the Bronx, or Russian restaurants in Brooklyn.
Fastest restaurant inspection, all info on your device, no Internet access needed. Weekly updates available.
* Search by restaurant name, street name, or cuisine type
* Search on or near a street, in a borough, or combinations, like Pizza on 14th St near 2nd Ave
* Works even when you don't have Internet access (but doesn't show maps): you can look for restaurants when you're in the subway!
* Restaurants can be shown on a map or as a list
* Locator button on bottom right sets the map to your present location
* Color coding of locator dots reveals level of restaurant violations, on a sliding scale from green (best) to red (worst)
* If a restaurant is Grade Pending, color dot indicates whether it would be a B or a C by the inspection score
* You can post your findings on your Facebook wall, or click to go to the restaurant's Yelp page
* Mark favorite restaurants, see recent searches, and examples or searches, including available cuisine types
* Links to walking directions, phone the restaurant
All restaurant information provided by the New York Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Restaurants close, things change, and maps are not always accurate. Regular updates will attempt to fix any problems.
What's New in Version 1.3.2
- speed improvements for iOS 6 new Apple maps
- use full screen on the iPhone 5
Great concept, poor design, 0 upkeep
For the moron who said "really isn't that hard to get an A rating", I can start with 1000% confidence that he is not in the industry in NYC. The board of health is a revenue service for manhattan, and they offer no solid "checklist" of what their inspectors will be looking for. Some inspectors look for this, others look for that, and so on and so forth. That being said; this app, while in concept is great, the only issue I have is that it crashes almost every time. No need to talk restaurant "shop", fact of the matter is when you download an app, you expect it to work. It doesn't. Don't waste your time, just go to the BOH website.
Very useful. I use this app all the time to check out restaurant grades. This app is especially useful because you can check out an eatery a grade history as well as their violations. Current grades and violations are updated in the app often.
UI could be a little better, especially the map view, but overall this is a fantastic app, developer has done a stellar job.
Great if scary information - often crashes after update
That the whole review: Great if scary information - often crashes after updates.
Delete and reinstall to scare yourself again.
- Category: Food & Drink
- Updated: Oct 09, 2012
- Version: 1.3.2
- Size: 10.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dan Costin
- © 2012 Dan Costin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.