By Tinybird Interactive AB
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
It's becoming increasingly clear that our bodies were not built to spend hour after hour in a chair. Research shows that too much sitting is seriously detrimental to our health, and short bursts of exercise does not completely help with that.
Fortunately, there's a quick and easy solution to improve the situation a great deal! Just by taking regular breaks, you can undo much of the damage. Not only your back, shoulder, neck, arms and hands and eyes are helped by breaks, but also your general health.
By taking regular breaks, you can actually increase your productivity by becoming more focused and energized.
Break Reminder will help with this without getting in your way. Some of the features:
• Automatic detection of breaks. If you take a break yourself, you will not be interrupted.
• Optional fading out of the screen to make the break more effective.
• Optionally set the iChat status to let your friends or colleagues know you're away.
• Different themes for the break screen and optional tips on ergonomics and similar topics.
• Adjustable work and break period lengths.
• More features like support for the new Retina screens, using the secure Sandbox feature of OS X, and optionally starting automatically whenever you start your computer. Works with multi-monitor setups.
Get Break Reminder today and take control over your health!
What's New in Version 2.1
• Optionally play a subtle sound before a break is coming up.
• Improve the progress indicator in the menubar icon to make it more visible when a break is coming up.
• The break alert window will be shown a little bit earlier to give you more time to prepare for the break.
• The break alert window can now be dismissed by clicking it to start the break right away.
• Fix an issue with "launch on login" if the app is renamed.
Effective, but not Obnoxious
I am trying to work up to 10,000 steps per day. I want to get up from my desk periodically and walk around a bit, but I keep forgetting.
This app is perfect for reminding me to take a walking break. The reminder is just the right type - not too loud, but gets my attention. Especially in an office, you don't want a loud alarm going off.
There is also a pop-up in the corner of the screen. As with the sound, it is the perfect amount of notice. It is large enough to notice, but doesn't take over the entire screen. The notification gives you the choice of taking a break or skipping it. If you decide to take the break, then a much larger screen opens up with a very soothing picture, plus advice on what to do for the break - e.g., roll your shoulders or rotate your wrists. Each time, it is something different. I take their suggestion and then get up for my walking break.
Overall, a great reminder app.
The app is working as advertised on OS X 8.3 at least.
Very good break reminder
This break reminder has lots of options so can customize it. Can set break time and duration. Appreciate the option to not allow to skip breaks.
Works great on Mavericks.
Would love to see Exercise visuals and show random ones per break. It is nice that can just show a picture.