HazeOver: Distraction Dimmer
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Get rid of distractions and focus on your current task. HazeOver automatically highlights the front app window by dimming all background windows. ▸▸▸ Demo Video & FREE Trial: HazeOver.com
• Spend less time managing windows. Window clutter will no longer bother you.
• Multiple displays? HazeOver will let you know which screen is focused or highlight a window on each monitor.
• Working at night? Reduce brightness of OS X interface background.
• Dark menu bar and Dock mode will look soooo pleasing!
Heavy multi-tasking kills your concentration. All that tweets, emails, chat messages and lolcats staring back at you from the background. They strive for your attention. And you only have that much of it.
Don't let yourself drown in scores of open windows. Hiding, switching, looking for the right one, more hiding, more switching. Calm down, breathe in, breathe out, launch HazeOver and finally concentrate on what's you've been up to.
HazeOver automatically highlights an active window or app when you switch windows. The less important things gently fade away in the background, helping increase your productivity.
Set the hazing intensity and speed to your liking. Be it a soft dimming, an undemanding hint to focus on your workflow. Or a powerful dark background for outright dedication to your current task.
• Desktop is automatically revealed when focused (requires Accessibility)
• Toggle the shade with a keyboard shortcut or adjust intensity with a gesture.
• Dragging stuff between apps? Tap "fn" key and HazeOver will gracefully fade out.
Still unconvinced? Ask LifeHacker, CNET, MacWorld, Engadget and Product Hunt.
What's New in Version 1.7
Please QUIT HazeOver using the menu bar icon before the update.
• New: change dimming color.
• Fixed: undesired dimming in Mission Control mode.
• Fixed: HazeOver got confused by some third party tweaks (e.g. Bartender app).
• Fixed: focused full-screen app on a secondary screen might get dimmed.
Helps keep my attention! Developer is very helpful as well.
UPDATE: This is a great app when I’m focusing on whatever window I’m working on. My only issue is that pressing ⌘+M or ⌘+W does not cause HazeOver to deactivate. But the developer even reached out to me over Twitter to help me with this issue. The Application for the window you were working is still technically in the forground, so HazeOver does not disable. I would love to have an option where HazeOver deactivates when you press ⌘+M or ⌘+W so that all windows are visible. But for now, I will just excercise utilizing ⌘+H instead. I highly recommend this application since your workflow is probably different than mine anyways.
Absolute necessary tool. Keeps me focused
I love HazeOver! I’ve set it up so the background windows are almost black. This keeps me focused on the app I’m in. HazeOver works fine with clicking and dragging between apps (like a file from Finder to an email), but I’ve found it easier just to turn off HazeOver momentarily (from the Menu Bar) when I’m working between apps.
I’m in a 2-monitor environment now, and really appreciate that HazeOver can highlight an app/window on each monitor. Winner.
Makes the foreground window stand out in your attention
I really like this utility an have been using it for several months now. It really makes the foreground window stand out against background clutter. It is simple and elegant and works as advertised without feature overload and no with cognitive burden. I think it should be a standard part of all windowing systems. Maybe Apple should buy the company and incorporate this functionality in future versions of the Finder.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Mar 11, 2016
- Version: 1.7
- Size: 9.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Maxim Ananov
- © 2007-2016 Maxim Ananov
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor