Horcrux lets you automatically backup your mails from any IMAP supported email accounts with great ease. The best part is, you have an option to restore the backed up emails to any other email account, retaining all your tags/folder hierarchy.
"Horcrux is handy since you don't actually have to think about it when it's running" - Lifehacker
Note: This is a background app, it resides on the Mac menu bar called "H". Click on that to get back to the preferences.
- Tested with iCloud, Gmail, Google Apps, Microsoft Exchange, GMX, DomainFactory. It should work on most email accounts.
- Incremental backups
- Automated backups at multiple locations (server and local) using the Hooks functionality.
- Supports multiple email accounts
- Add the accounts, set the backup frequency and it'll unobtrusively backup emails in the background
- Native Email Browsing interface where you can undelete specific emails (in case of user error)
- Independent IMAP Server to Server migration utility
- Clever restore process that'll skip already existing emails
- Stores emails in open format (.eml) which can be opened in clients like Apple Mail
- Can export emails in open format as .mbox
- The backups can be offline and moved around to different computers.
Please feel free to contact us in case of any problems https://thehorcrux.com/support
Note: Google, Microsoft, GMX, DomainFactory are trademarks of their respective owners.
Fix memory leak issue with server to server migration. Thanks Patrick!
Ratings and Reviews
Great email backup solution
The developer of this app is super responsive and actively releases updates to fix bugs. For the price if you're looking for a App Store solution to local email backup this is great!
Huge memory leak with large accounts
There seems to be a huge memory leak in this version that has completely bogged my computer down anytime Horcrux does a backup. I’ve been waiting over a month for it to be fixed, but so far, nothing. I can’t recommend this app at all in its current state.
Developer Response ,
The newest version 4.1.11 should fix the memory leaks.
WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS APPLICATION
WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS APPLICATION
Updated for: Version 4.0.7
Since we posted the review below a few days ago the app has been updated to address the catastrophic bug we reported. With brief testing we can say:
* The catastrophic bug *may* be fixed, but users must manually check all their old snapshots to see if they were damaged. There appears to be no option in the UI to remove a damaged snapshot.
* Horcrux still crashes on a regular basis – it crashed twice in our brief tests. We have no reason to believe that some of these crashes will be silent as before.
* There is no indication that the frequent network issues have been addressed.
We've updated our conclusion below.
=== 4.0.5/6 Review ===
We have reviewed this application multiple times over the years, running extensive carefully constructed tests to check its functions and reliability. In our earlier reviews we wrote:
"A backup application, especially one which runs automatically in the background, has to be robust - its very raison d’être is to be there when other things break. For example Time Machine is robust against computer sleep, network failures, etc.; and if a situation arises when it fails to make a backup it informs the user.
Unfortunately Horcrux Email Backup is not robust, it is UNRELIABLE AND SILENTLY FAILS."
So how does version 4.0.6 fare?
* Horcrux crashes on a fairly regular basis if left running to do backups. It does this silently, the only indication being the disappearance of the "H" in the menu bar.
* Horcrux reports network failures regularly, even when other apps, including Mail, are using the network without issue. Pushing "Retry" on such warnings typically produces a repeat of the error. Restarting Horcrux is usually more reliable.
* Horcrux states it works in 10.8 onwards, it misdraws its GUI and crashes frequently in at least 10.9, at least GUI related issues and crashes seem resolved in 10.11.
AND THE BIG ONE:
* It's snapshot feature, its very raison d’être, DOES NOT WORK. If an email message is deleted from the server at the next Horcrux backup it is deleted from ALL SNAPSHOTS and not just the latest one. The old snapshots will still indicate the message is there but attempting to access it will fail as the data itself has been DELETED.
This last issue means that while at first glance your backups look fine they are in fact all broken in at least versions 4.0.5 & 4.0.6, and probably earlier versions.
== Conclusion ==
For 4.0.5/6 our conclusion was: DO NOT USE THIS APPLICATION.
Does 4.0.7 change that? Well the catastrophic bug in snapshots *may* have been fixed, only further testing will tell, but serious questions remain over the overall quality of the app.
We are forced to ask how a catastrophic bug in the apps core function managed to get through the publishers testing over a number of versions, and wonder how well the "fixed" version has been tested. The lack of response to the crashes and fragility of its network operations, along with the crashes in our brief testing of 4.0.7, does not instill confidence.
If you need IMAP backup you would still be best looking for another solution.
0.5 Stars :-(
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.