By Information Architects Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Your program is the single most useful and remarkably clever — invisibly so — device for writing that I can name."
– Augusten Burroughs, bestselling author
“Beautiful and simple” ***** The Guardian
“Everything goes away except for the writing experience” ***** Stephen Fry
“Writer has out-innovated Apple” ***** Fast Company
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Keyboard extension with ← → and punctuation keys
- Focus Mode lets you concentrate on the current three lines (iPad only)
- Custom typeface optimized for iPhone and iPad
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- Polished to be easy and clear
- No formatting settings to fiddle with
- No complicated interactions
SAVE AND SYNC
- Seamless sync between Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Dropbox integration
1. Writer has no formatting settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin Alphabet languages plus Chinese, Greek, Japanese, and Russian are officially supported (NO Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md (but not .doc or .docx), in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit www.iawriter.com for information about Writer
- Visit support.iawriter.com for support, feedback, and the Writer guide
- Get writing inspiration on Facebook at facebook.com/iawriter
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.9.1
- Bug fixes
Delightfully clean. Stays out of the way. But slips back in when needed.
For me, it's an ideal, no-excuses writing environment. Writer lets you write. That's it. Does as promised. And elegantly.
It's an ideal app for writing from scratch, for writing out of your head. (Not so hot for cutting and pasting content from nine sources at the same time.) It's not for assembling, it's for creating.
At first, the app felt confining. Like being stuck in a windowless room at a bare table with a pencil and paper. And I didn't like the font. And there was no formatting to fiddle with.
But then, as I worked, I no longer noticed the font. Work ten minutes, and you won't notice the 'app' either. It's just you and the sentences. Which is what this is supremely good for.
I like the way all the 'chrome' and menu stuff disappears when you're working. Then, when you need to do something, the upper bar reappears.
I generally use a wireless keyboard, but the on-board, Writer app keyboard is actually better than Apple's default keyboard. Easier access to things like quotes and dashes and stuff.
And everything is automatically saved as you work. (Which I think other apps, like Plain Text do as well.)
I did notice that certain punctuation like curly quotes went funky when I pulled the work onto my Mac. But otherwise, it's flawless.
Great Simple Effective App
This app does dictation extraordinarily well and is ultra simple to use, which is the Achilles' heel of nearly every list or organizer app. They're just too darn complicated! Ridiculously complicated!
If you want complexity and flexibility, file folders, notebooks, and all that unnecessarily complex stuff, go get yourself a copy of Evernote and you will be tickled with the complexity and flexibility, which is so confusing. If you want a simple app for dictation and unformatted, fast and effective typing that you can email to yourself and format in Word or Outlook later, this is the perfect app for you.
This is one of the best apps available due to its simplicity and effectiveness. Please KISS? Keep it simple stupid. Please don't change into a complicated wanna-be everything to everybody app like Evernote.
Here, let me wipe out 90% of the one-star reviews in one sentence: iA dropped their patent suit, and they are indeed continuing to develop this non-pro version of Writer. (In fact, all of these one-star reviews complaining that this app has been "abandoned" are reviewing a version of the app that's less than a month old.) The one-star reviews are worse than spiteful — they're ERRONEOUSLY spiteful. This app still works as beautifully as it always did, and it is still being developed.
Do you know the surest way to get iA to abandon this app? Drag its star rating down to nothing so nobody buys it. You're cutting your noses off to spite your various faces, people, and you're doing it on the basis of bad information. Stop. Just...stop.
(And to the person who intended to review iA Writer Pro and gave one star to this app instead — oh, never mind.)
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 1.9.1
- Size: 4.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Information Architects Inc.
- © 2013 Information Architects Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.