By Information Architects Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“Your program is the single most useful and remarkably clever — invisibly so — device for writing that I can name.”
– Augusten Burroughs, bestselling author
“Beautiful and simple” ***** The Guardian
“Everything goes away except for the writing experience” ***** Stephen Fry
“Writer has out-innovated Apple” ***** Fast Company
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Keyboard extension with ← → and punctuation keys
- Focus Mode lets you concentrate on the current sentence (iPad only)
- Custom typeface optimized for iPhone and iPad
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- Polished to be easy and clear
- No formatting settings to fiddle with
- No complicated interactions
SAVE AND SYNC
- Seamless sync between Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Dropbox integration
1. Writer has no formatting settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin Alphabet languages plus Chinese, Greek, Japanese, and Russian are officially supported (NO Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md (but not .doc or .docx), in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit ia.net/writer/ios for information about iA Writer for iPad and iPhone
- Visit ia.net/writer/support/ for support and feedback
- Get writing inspiration on Facebook at facebook.com/iawriter
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 2.1.2
- Text selection can now be extended via Keyboard bar’s navigation keys
- Fixed issue moving files to Dropbox
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Great product, but deceptive practices
What to do, what to do? The app is absolutely great. I love its simplicity, the iCloud drive and Dropbox integration, and the ability to edit documents on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac. I even set up Scrivener to sync to the iA Writer folder on iCloud drive so that I can use Scrivener on my Mac and continue to edit on my iOS devices. Awesome! So why the 1-star rating? The developer’s deceptive practices concerning my data. Somewhere along the way in one of their updates, Information Architects Inc. decided to collect “usage information” without my consent. What is “usage information”? It “could” be what device you use, what time you use it, how long you use the app, or even where you use the app. It “could” also potentially track your keystrokes while using the app. We’ll never know, because the developers aren’t exactly up front with the fact that they started tracking you. They offer no way to turn off this tracking or opt-out. They just collect whatever they want to, whenever they want to, regardless of how I feel about it. Sure, they buried their new data policy under Settings, but they certainly didn’t go out of their way to let me know that they changed it. I only found out about it by reading another reviewer’s comments. Now, I think I’ve decided to delete it from my devices and look for another app. I just don’t feel safe with this developer.
Exceptional writing tool
I've been trying different note taking and writing apps because I need to capture thoughts as they're happening, like I do in my Moleskin. Evernote, Penultimate and Note all were nice to explore and have nice layouts but I quickly stopped using them. They were less about the act of writing thoughts down and more about the organization or presentation of information. iA Writer slowly grew on me with each use. I'm able to my focus on my writing and write almost as fast as I'm thinking without being bothered by extraneous formatting issues. I'm also able to review and revise what I wrote as easily. Whether I'm writing the content of a news letter, or recipes that I'm perfecting, this app allows me to do it as easily as if I'm writing on paper! I can then finesse the text fonts and formatting in other apps that specialize in graphic design if I need to.
The Seamless Interface is Stellar
I jump around from word processor to processor and I've found that Textkraft Pro, (if I feel like getting a little fancy) Arundo (if I'm doing a lot of research) and this one are the ones I fall back on most of all. (Writing Desk is pretty cool, too). The ease of Dropbox downloading and not worrying about font size, color, margins, and any of that hassle make it a great app for turning it on when you get an idea and just start writing. Isn't that the idea? Remember when people just opened a notebook and wrote? I still love doing that, too. Talk about ease.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 03, 2015
- Version: 2.1.2
- Size: 5.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Information Architects Inc.
- © 2014 Information Architects Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.