By Information Architects Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
50% OFF UNTIL NEXT UPDATE
"Your program is the single most useful and remarkably clever — invisibly so — device for writing that I can name."
– Augusten Burroughs, bestselling author
“Beautiful and simple” ***** The Guardian
“Everything goes away except for the writing experience” ***** Stephen Fry
“Writer has out-innovated Apple” ***** Fast Company
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Keyboard extension with ← → and punctuation keys
- Focus Mode lets you concentrate on the current three lines (iPad only)
- Custom typeface optimized for iPhone and iPad
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- Polished to be easy and clear
- No formatting settings to fiddle with
- No complicated interactions
SAVE AND SYNC
- Seamless sync between Mac, iPad and iPhone
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Dropbox integration
1. Writer has no formatting settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin Alphabet languages plus Chinese, Greek, Japanese, and Russian are officially supported (NO Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md (but not .doc or .docx), in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit www.iawriter.com for information about Writer
- Visit support.iawriter.com for support, feedback, and the Writer guide
- Get writing inspiration on Facebook at facebook.com/iawriter
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.9.1
- Bug fixes
Delightfully clean. Stays out of the way. But slips back in when needed.
For me, it's an ideal, no-excuses writing environment. Writer lets you write. That's it. Does as promised. And elegantly.
It's an ideal app for writing from scratch, for writing out of your head. (Not so hot for cutting and pasting content from nine sources at the same time.) It's not for assembling, it's for creating.
At first, the app felt confining. Like being stuck in a windowless room at a bare table with a pencil and paper. And I didn't like the font. And there was no formatting to fiddle with.
But then, as I worked, I no longer noticed the font. Work ten minutes, and you won't notice the 'app' either. It's just you and the sentences. Which is what this is supremely good for.
I like the way all the 'chrome' and menu stuff disappears when you're working. Then, when you need to do something, the upper bar reappears.
I generally use a wireless keyboard, but the on-board, Writer app keyboard is actually better than Apple's default keyboard. Easier access to things like quotes and dashes and stuff.
And everything is automatically saved as you work. (Which I think other apps, like Plain Text do as well.)
I did notice that certain punctuation like curly quotes went funky when I pulled the work onto my Mac. But otherwise, it's flawless.
Good update, people are stupid
The people leaving negative reviews, or one star reviews, because they've made a new Pro version should grow up.
How long are you expecting a developer to continue supporting an app? Writer came out years ago and has been updated consistently since then. So what if they want to make a new app?
If you don't like it and don't use the pro version. Simple as that. It doesn't change the fact that the original writer is still a great piece of software.
Updated review to 5 stars.
The new auto naming function really speeds things up. Very helpful. Would like to see a more robust file management system, but it's now good enough to use for quick notes.
…I don't like the UI for managing files. Its lots of button presses to get anything done. Drag and drop to folders is pretty neat though.
Great Simple Effective App
This app does dictation extraordinarily well and is ultra simple to use, which is the Achilles' heel of nearly every list or organizer app. They're just too darn complicated! Ridiculously complicated!
If you want complexity and flexibility, file folders, notebooks, and all that unnecessarily complex stuff, go get yourself a copy of Evernote and you will be tickled with the complexity and flexibility, which is so confusing. If you want a simple app for dictation and unformatted, fast and effective typing that you can email to yourself and format in Word or Outlook later, this is the perfect app for you.
This is one of the best apps available due to its simplicity and effectiveness. Please KISS? Keep it simple stupid. Please don't change into a complicated wanna-be everything to everybody app like Evernote.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 1.9.1
- Size: 4.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Information Architects Inc.
- © 2013 Information Architects Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.