By Information Architects Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“Beautiful and Simple” – The Guardian
“Out-innovated Apple” — Fast Company
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Convert Markdown to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Auto Markdown subtly formats your text on-screen without taking your hands off the keyboard
- Focus Mode helps you write one sentence at a time, one thought at a time
- Reading Time tells you how long it takes to read your text
A better tool doesn’t make a better craftsman, but a good tool makes working a pleasure.
- Focus Mode
- Full Screen
- Auto Markdown
- Reading Time, plus word and character count
- Custom typeface, carefully set for optimal readability
- Easy-to-find strong blue cursor
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Ready for Retina displays
- Formatted HTML preview
- Markdown ⇄ Microsoft® Word .docx converter
1. Writer has no settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md, in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit https://ia.net/writer/mac for information about iA Writer for Mac
- Visit https://ia.net/writer/support/ for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 2.1.3
- Improved contextual menu for URLs
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Please let us know at ia.net/writer/support or on Twitter @iawriter
Best writing app out there
I love this app. It just feels great to write in. I have tried every other app (almost everyone) and none of them come close to the experience. It just feels comfortable and I can just concentrate on what I am doing.
Only thing I would REALLY like to see is exporting styles. I tried the new Ulysses because of that feature so I could write a paper for school and automatically format to Chicago style of formatting but I just couldn’t get past the fact that IA writer is so much better. If I could export in different formatting styles that would be great.
Very inconsistent exports
Just to be clear, before you buy, here is how the exports on the current version (2.1.3) turn out:
- PDF export yields a document with a 2-inch top margin and Georgia text at 13 point.
- Word export yields a document with Office 2003 margins (1.25-inch left and right margins), text in 10-point Cambria, a line height of 1.4, and 15-point paragraph spacing applied both before and after each paragraph.
- Rich Text Format exports yield documents in Times New Roman, 12-point, single spacing, and 9-point paragraph spacing applied after each paragraph.
Line breaks are supported only in RTF exports or if viewing .docx documents in Pages (Control-Return). They are not supported in any other export format.
Simple, easy, gets the job done
If the goal is to sit down, write, rewrite, compile notes, this intuitive, no nonsense app gets the job done. It is NOT a full featured word processor. That’s why it is appealing. I love it syncs with and prints from my iPad.