iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won't find in other iPhone browsers.
iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages, like uploading photos on flickr.com or Facebook.com. Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites.
iCab Mobile comes with several default search engines you can choose from. You can easily add new search engines. Search suggestions from google and yahoo can be activated on the iPad. It's also possible to search within a web page.
FILLING OUT FORMS:
iCab Mobile can save web forms and restore the form content later (manually or automatically). The saved forms data can be password protected.
There's a built-in and customizable URL-based filter. The default filters block many advertising banners. You can edit, add or remove filters. It's possible to switch off images to save bandwidth.
iCab Mobile supports Tabs, so you can open multiple web pages at the same time. Links can be opened in Tabs (in the foreground or background) manually or automatically. iCab can save the tabs when quitting so these can be loaded even when being offline, the next time the App is launched.
Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser. Bookmarks can be also saved as "Offline Bookmarks" which can be even opened without an internet connection.
iCab Mobile provides a fullscreen mode where the whole screen is used to display the web page. No screen space is wasted for toolbars.
iCab Mobile has a built-in Download Manager so you can download almost all files from the internet. The downloads can be easily transfered to a Mac/PC/Linux computer but also to other Apps on the device which can open these files (iOS 3.2 or newer required).
The unique "Scrollpad" feature lets instantly scroll to any location within a web page (Tap with three fingers on the screen to activate the Scrollpad).
iCab Mobile itself can be password protected. When password protection is on, you can enable a guest mode with limited privileges which is available without a password. The guest mode can have its own subset of bookmarks and search engines.
iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- QuickStarter feature
- AirPrint support (iOS 4.2 required)
- Browser ID (UserAgent) is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names (IDN - domain names with language-specific characters).
- VGA Out: Web pages can be didplayed on an external display.
- Send (smaller) downloads via email
- Cookie Manager, lists all cookies, cookies can be deleted individually
- Private Browsing (no history and no cookies are stored)
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data (history, cookies, databases, saved forms, passwords etc.)
- Option to pass the current web page to another App on the device which can open the page
- URL autocompletion based on bookmarks and/or history
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- Kiosk Mode - a restricted variation of the fullscreen mode for Kiosk environments.
- Autorotation supported
- Addressbook support lets you access the web pages from the addressbook.
- When launching iCab can either open an empty page, the homepage or restore the Tabs which were open the last time
- Page-Compression is supported to save bandwith.
- There are different color schemes (skins) on the iPhone/iPod Touch
- Document Sharing lets you pass downloads and files to other Apps in the device (iOS 3.2/4.x required)
- Downloads can continue while the app is in the background, playing audio files in web pages can continue in the background.
What's New in Version 7.2.3
- Fixes a crash under iOS 7 which could occur under certain conditions
- Fixes an issue with the "SOCKS" proxy settings
FORM FILL FEATURE NOT TRUE
I bought this mainly for the form fill feature. I love to post in forums and I hated how Safari would refresh and erase the entire post that I was working on every time I would switch back to the tab I was posting in. I wanted to download the lazarus plugin so that it would save my work, but it wouldn't let me download on Safari via ipad. When I saw the form fill feature for this app, I thought that icab was going to be the answer to my prayers. Wrong. Even after following the form fill directions exactly in the help options portion, it doesn't save my post. I was devastated, but should have known that something was too good to be true. Don't be fooled by the form fill feature like me, the most it would probably save are passwords just like any other browser. If they hadn't lied about the form fill feature, I would have given it 4 or 5 stars. It has a lot of potential to be great, but the form fill feature being a total lie was a deal breaker for me; I hate apps that give false advertisements about their product.
Better for searching & research than Google App
I won't go into all the nice features that have made this browser a favorite of mine, just how helpful I find it for research.
I like it better than Google for finding info of all sorts. I can search with a whole bunch of search engines; the search result comes up as a web page, and you can open the sites on other pages, and leave them open. In other words, you don't have to keep going back & forth or move out of the app into Safari to look at a number of sources at once. And, because you are already in a browser, you can do handy things like save a source you've found to Goodreader.
You can also keep multiple searches open to come back to later.
Dev' offers great support
This morning, I contacted the developer of this app for help with using rich HTML text. Within several hours, he emailed me back with a thorough description of what was going on and why I was unable to edit rich HTML text.
I am very impressed with the support that the developer has offered, and for people who like to tweak their browser, iCab Mobile offers many, many more options than other IOS browsers provide.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Oct 30, 2013
- Version: 7.2.3
- Size: 7.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2013 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.