iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won't find in other iPhone browsers.
iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages, like uploading photos on flickr.com or Facebook.com. Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites.
iCab Mobile comes with several default search engines you can choose from. You can easily add new search engines. Search suggestions from google and yahoo can be activated on the iPad. It's also possible to search within a web page.
FILLING OUT FORMS:
iCab Mobile can save web forms and restore the form content later (manually or automatically). The saved forms data can be password protected.
There's a built-in and customizable URL-based filter. The default filters block many advertising banners. You can edit, add or remove filters. It's possible to switch off images to save bandwidth.
iCab Mobile supports Tabs, so you can open multiple web pages at the same time. Links can be opened in Tabs (in the foreground or background) manually or automatically. iCab can save the tabs when quitting so these can be loaded even when being offline, the next time the App is launched.
Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser. Bookmarks can be also saved as "Offline Bookmarks" which can be even opened without an internet connection.
iCab Mobile provides a fullscreen mode where the whole screen is used to display the web page. No screen space is wasted for toolbars.
iCab Mobile has a built-in Download Manager so you can download almost all files from the internet. The downloads can be easily transfered to a Mac/PC/Linux computer but also to other Apps on the device which can open these files
You can create multiple user accounts, each user has its own private bookmarks, filters, settings, etc.
iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- QuickStarter feature
- AirPrint support
- Browser ID (UserAgent) is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names (IDN - domain names with language-specific characters).
- Send (smaller) downloads via email
- Cookie Manager, lists all cookies, cookies can be deleted individually
- Private Browsing (no history and no cookies are stored)
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data (history, cookies, databases, saved forms, passwords etc.)
- Option to pass the current web page to another App on the device which can open the page
- URL autocompletion based on bookmarks and/or history
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- Kiosk Mode - a restricted variation of the fullscreen mode for Kiosk environments.
- Addressbook support lets you access the web pages from the addressbook.
- When launching iCab can either open an empty page, the homepage or restore the Tabs which were open the last time
- Page-Compression is supported to save bandwith.
- There are different color schemes and designs
- Document Sharing lets you pass downloads and files to other Apps in the device
What's New in Version 8.0.1
I apologize for the problems some users had with the last release. This release was an almost complete rewrite of the App and unfortunately some serious issues were not detected in time. I the new update should fix all the know problems.
In any case, please report any issues you have with the App, only then I can make it better.
- The Browser ID can now also be set via Icon in the toolbar or from the Action menu
- Fixes an issue with bookmark lets
- Fixes an issue with some popup windows.
- Fixes issues with the shortcuts for bluetooth keyboards
- Fixes an issue with certain modules which could cause a crash
- Fixes an an issue when saving all Tabs in the bookmarks at once
- Fixes an issue with the in-page search
- Fixes and issue when saving a web page
- several other smaller bugfixes and improvements.
Best browser on IOS but a couple bugs
There is still a bug when you turn on the scroll bar. When you scroll to the bottom it starts scrolling back up the page and vice versa. When you click the scrollbar arrows they scroll in the opposite way you'd expect. Hopefully these get fixed in the next update.
Other than than that this is a terrific web browser that I've used for years. Featurewise it's the closest to a desktop browser as you'll get on IOS. The developer has issued a ton of updates over the years. If you browse on IOS you owe it to yourself to try this browser. Take some time to configure it like you want and you'll end up loving it too.
The 8.0 update broke a lot of things. Many of these were fixed in the last update but overall there are still a lot of issues that the previous version didn't have. The biggest problem I have now is that the Dropbox integration is very unreliable now. When you long tap and save to Dropbox, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't do a thing. The old tab list contained the number of open tabs. This seems to have been removed. That was nice. Overall a good browser but I much preferred it before the 8.0 version.
My most essential app
Of all the apps I use, iCab is the most essential.
It is a suburb web browser which has all the tools and customization options you could ever dream of.
After using this app I wonder how I could ever go back to safari (I hope I never have to!)
Well worth it and highly recommended.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 07, 2014
- Version: 8.0.1
- Size: 10.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2014 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.