iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won't find in other iPhone browsers.
iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages, like uploading photos on flickr.com or Facebook.com. Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites.
iCab Mobile comes with several default search engines you can choose from. You can easily add new search engines. Search suggestions from google and yahoo can be activated on the iPad. It's also possible to search within a web page.
FILLING OUT FORMS:
iCab Mobile can save web forms and restore the form content later (manually or automatically). The saved forms data can be password protected.
There's a built-in and customizable URL-based filter. The default filters block many advertising banners. You can edit, add or remove filters. It's possible to switch off images to save bandwidth.
iCab Mobile supports Tabs, so you can open multiple web pages at the same time. Links can be opened in Tabs (in the foreground or background) manually or automatically. iCab can save the tabs when quitting so these can be loaded even when being offline, the next time the App is launched.
Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser. Bookmarks can be also saved as "Offline Bookmarks" which can be even opened without an internet connection.
iCab Mobile provides a fullscreen mode where the whole screen is used to display the web page. No screen space is wasted for toolbars.
iCab Mobile has a built-in Download Manager so you can download almost all files from the internet. The downloads can be easily transfered to a Mac/PC/Linux computer but also to other Apps on the device which can open these files
You can create multiple user accounts, each user has its own private bookmarks, filters, settings, etc.
iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- QuickStarter feature
- AirPrint support
- Browser ID (UserAgent) is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names (IDN - domain names with language-specific characters).
- Send (smaller) downloads via email
- Cookie Manager, lists all cookies, cookies can be deleted individually
- Private Browsing (no history and no cookies are stored)
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data (history, cookies, databases, saved forms, passwords etc.)
- Option to pass the current web page to another App on the device which can open the page
- URL autocompletion based on bookmarks and/or history
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- Kiosk Mode - a restricted variation of the fullscreen mode for Kiosk environments.
- Addressbook support lets you access the web pages from the addressbook.
- When launching iCab can either open an empty page, the homepage or restore the Tabs which were open the last time
- Page-Compression is supported to save bandwith.
- There are different color schemes and designs
- Document Sharing lets you pass downloads and files to other Apps in the device
What's New in Version 8.7.5
- Today Widget: You can add web sites to the „Today“ section of the notification center. This can be helpful to show important information of web sites directly in the notification center, without the need unlock the device and launch the App. The web page you add to the notification center is loaded offline, so it does not need an internet connection. Also because of limited ways to interact with „today“ widgets, you should zoom and scroll the page before adding it to the notification center, because this is not possible within the notification center.
- The scrolling speed can be configured in the User Interface settings.
- Fixes a crash when tapping on the status bar to scroll to the top after a tab with a video was closed.
- Solves an issue where the App did freeze after launch when the iCloud did not respond.
- Fixes a layout glitch within the built-in RSS feed reader.
- Fixes an issue with OAuth authentication requests from web sites.
Great app and excellent developer support
I've been using iCab as my primary browser for about 6 months now and have to admit, it's my favorite. There have very few instances where I've had to go back to Safari. iCab works well with openvpn and has almost all features you would want for a full function browser. The only draw back might be the products best feature, flexibility. The good news is most options can be ignored with little impact. In other words new users should not worry about the products comprehensive feature until they are comfortable using its basic features.
Excellent support. Almost all questions have been answered within 24 hours.
Keep up the great work!
Started to work again
It recently started to work again, but here's my review for when it didn't. It had to be force quit a few more times before it started working as expected.
I upgraded and now it's totally unusable. I had macrumors, slashdot, and google finances open and now every time it launches, slashdot gets to 1/2 loaded and then the app freezes and then crashes. I can feel my iPad Air 2 is heating up. I can't interact with the app to kill the tabs so it's totally hosed at this point. Sigh.
This is like the biggest hidden gem of the app store. I call it the FireFox of iOS. As customizable as it can get. Closest experience to desktop browsing, even 1password plugin works!
I paid for this once like back in 2010, I still get free upgrades!
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Mar 08, 2015
- Version: 8.7.5
- Size: 8.5 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2015 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.