iCED Chinese Dictionary presents a unique way to use a Chinese dictionary. After you've found the entry you were searching for, iCED will continue to search for compound or component entries to complement your search. Component entry dissection allows you to quickly understand the meaning of components in longer words or phrases. For example, if you look up 中华人民共和国, iCED will also look up 中华 and 人民共和国. You can then select the latter to break it up into 人民 and 共和国. When you get to single characters, iCED will look up compound entries starting with that character.
This edition is ad supported. Ads can be removed via an optional in-app purchase.
• Compatible with iOS 9 and up.
• Optimized for Retina™ display.
• iPad™ optimized user interface.
• Internet connection not required after initial setup.
• Includes the Unihan character dictionary.
• Other dictionaries available for download: CC-CEDICT, CDICT5, CF-DICT (Chinese/French).
• Integrated search across all dictionaries using English words, Chinese characters (using the Chinese hand recognition built into the iPhone OS), Hanyu Pinyin (with or without tones) and radical index.
• See characters in large font for detailed view of character strokes.
• Search for the occurrence of a Chinese character or word anywhere in the entry. Browse through the list of results with a thumb index, sorted by where in the entry the search term was found (position 1, position 2, ...)
• Supports both traditional and simplified characters with an easy-toggle button. Great for learners who constantly flip back and forth!
• ¹Word lists. Save your searches in categorized word lists for later review.
• Back up your wordlists to your Dropbox or a third-party WebDAV-enabled disk.
• Option to search contents of clipboard on startup (or on app-switch to foreground)
• Recents tab keeps track of searches for quick review.
• Supports landscape mode.
• CC-CEDICT 2009-08-04 (86,588 entries)
Follow us on Twitter @ murageinc
¹ You can create up to 4 word lists. Unlimited number of wordlists available via optional in-app purchase.
• Dropbox compatibility updates
• iOS 11 compatibility
• iPhone X compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
No Radical index button on keyboard tab
I am on iPad (2017) and my version is 3.6.1. The only issue I encountered is that I do not see the radical index button on top of the keyboard pad. It does display flawlessly on my older 1st gen iPad with version 3.4.1. I also see it in the sample pictures in the App Store. Do you think it is due to a specific setting within the app or is it a software related issue that has to be fixed by the developer?
The App update freezes
Just updated to the IOS 11 version. Now the App freezes on launch and won’t go further.
Excellent Dictionary based on the free CCDict database
Just downloade this dictionary and performs well. I don't know why there are so many one stars (what do people expect anyways). It has a clean interface. And the free dictionaries are good (Unihan and CCEdict).
The feature I like the most is that once you select on a search result, you get the definition and then the componets of the word (say the result is a two character word. You get the definition of the two character word and then you get definition of the single character parts). And from that screen you can search further for words containing the word or the parts, including the unihan definition of the character. If you are a student of chinese, quickly finding the meaning of the parts and how the parts are used in other words is essential to learn the language.
The paid dictionary (ABC) is the best chinese-english dictionary there is. The price is very competitive. The paper one will cost you more.
Some reviews imply that features were taken away (since this is my first time using it, I don't know what they are talking about). One review seem to compalin lack of handwriting recognition, but you can use the built in handwriting recognizer in the iPhone/iPod Toch.
The ads don't bother me, but I'll pay the $1.99 to recognize their efforts. I have been a long time user of PLECO (the benchmark chinese-english dictionary) so I already have the ABC dictionary, but this implemention is quite good.
- Murage Inc.
- 26.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2008-2017 Murage Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Remove Ads $3.99
- Unlimited word lists $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.