iChinese - learn Chinese characters!
By Hubermat Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iChinese helps you to learn Chinese!
As a native application for the iPhone and the iPod Touch, iChinese is the ideal companion to let you at any time and any place look up Chinese characters in the dictionary or to find out the correct pronounciation of a word.
You want more than flashcards? With the intelligent Trainer you can train vocabulary from wellknown Chinese training courses. iChinese makes use of diversified exercises types, like writing, reading and listening exercises.
* Dictionary functionality
- search offline for Chinese characters, Pinyin or the meaning
- handwriting input of Chinese characters makes use of the iOS' Chinese keyboard
- view of all search results in a well arranged list
- detail-view of dictionary entries with Chinese speech output (requires the speech output pack Mandarin to be installed, available for sale now on the AppStore)
- included in delivery are two dictionaries (Chinese-English-Chinese, Chinese-German-Chinese)
* Trainer functionality
- training of vocabulary by means of memorizing, writing, reading and listening
- an intelligent trainer manages the training progress
- automatic planning of the next training session
- possibility to select lessons and exercise types by yourself
- memorizing exercises to memorize the new vocabulary (Chinese characters, pinyin, meaning)
- writing exercises with intuitive drawing on the touchscreen and analysis of the painted characters
- reading exercises with multiple choice
- listening exercises with multiple choice (requires the speech output pack Mandarin to be installed, available for sale now on the AppStore)
- included in delivery are the first 4 lessons with vocabulary from the training book "Practical Chinese Reader 1"
- further lessons can be bought later through the AppStore (two lesson packs with additional 16 lessons are available for sale now on the AppStore)
* extensible library
- overview of all installed lessons, dictionaries and functions
- speech output in Mandarin is available for sale on the AppStore now!
- further lessons for iChinese available for sale on the AppStore (currently two lesson packs available)
SCOPE OF DELIVERY:
- iChinese with dictionary and trainer functionality
- the free Chinese-English dictionary CC-CEDICT (http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=cc-cedict) with more than 99.000 entries
- the free Chinese-German dictionary HanDeDict (from 2010-10-12, www.chdw.de) with more than 148.000 entries
- vocabulary from lessons 1 to 4 of "Practical Chinese Reader 1"
iChinese gets constantly improved. Lesson packs for further training books/courses are under development.
What's New in Version 2.2.3
updated: dictionary content
Save your ten bucks
This was the first app I paid for on iTunes, guess it'll be my last unless I can "try before you buy".
This was a waste of money.
The handwriting recognition is awful. I've given it to native speakers and excellent writers and they often get "Failure" when writing the characters.
The order in which the app teaches you is bizarre. When you draw the character incorrectly (which is usually), it'll show you how, then ask you to draw a different character, which, to me, seems just dumb.
Then, there are multiple-choice quizzes that are so easy it's absurd, like: 'What does "Ni Hao" (written in characters, of course) mean?' You're given a choice of four options like, "How are you?" , "Hello", and I don't recall the others. But, the point being is that it's useless.
There doesn't seem to be too much here to learn either. The author obviously wants to make money by having you purchase expansion packs, but I'm done with this. Save your money and just use the Pleco dictionary with the Handwriting Keyboard.
Please continue to develop this app (pretty please...)
Beautiful program! But needs more modules to realize full potential.
A great way to learn a very difficult language through the 'brute force' of multiple repetitions - each with immediate feedback.
Comfortably fills in the 'dead' moments of life. Boss ranting? Why not learn Chinese in the meantime?
Complements well all other modes of learning - that universally neglect Chinese characters - a key feature of this language.
The investment may be worth it only in the context of many hours of practice. A statement to that effect by Hubermat may keep some virulent customers (and reviewers) at bay.
We hope Matthias will realize the power and beauty of his creation, overcome some petty criticism, and continue to develop this product.
Great app. The dictionary is very useful. The interface is easy and outright cool. The only problem is that if you want to learn new characters, you have to purchase additional packs. Once they are purchased though, you can learn them yourself, or let the built-in algorithm guide you. I use the latter and loving it! :)
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 13, 2010
- Version: 2.2.3
- Size: 185 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: MATTHIAS HUBER
- © 2010 Matthias Huber
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.