------ The Official Starting Strength App * 4.8 Star Average Rating -------
The Starting Strength Method is the fastest, most efficient and straightforward way to increase total body strength for complete beginners.
Here's some reviews from our users
"What do you get when you combine the best method to get stronger with detailed instructional videos, thorough explanations AND an actual day to day program? THIS APP! Finally! Perfect for both beginners and experienced lifters and worth much more than the $8.99 I paid for. Thank you Starting Strength!
"I've tried 2-3 other apps. I've kept paper logs. Nothing has been easier to use than this app. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't enter my warm up sets...its because you don't need to! You enter your work set weight and it tells you exactly what to load on the warmup-ups..."
"Wonderful, straight-forward way to keep DOING THE PROGRAM. A simple and clear way to apply the SS principles and track your work.”
"Like others, I was on the fence about buying this app to help kickstart my starting strength program. This app deserves it's high average rating, and you should pull the trigger if you are reading this.”
"I tried a few free apps before buying this app, this one is well worth the money. Best app out there for barbell training"
Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" has sold over 400,000 copies worldwide and considered the most productive method in existence for anyone beginning a strength training program.
"The best book ever written on strength training" - Jim Wendler, champion powerlifter.
- Complete, easy-to-follow instructions for performing the basic barbell exercises: the squat, press, deadlift, bench press and power clean.
- Walks you through the famous Starting Strength Novice Program -- shows you how to start, what weight to add and when to add extra exercises.
- Designed for use at the gym with quick access to multiple angle videos and photo instructions of each exercise.
- Lift instructions and diagrams from the Starting Strength Book by Mark Rippetoe.
- Interactive logging tools journal your strength progression.
- Warmup and workset calculator shows you exactly how many plates to put on each side of the bar.
- Workset Rest Timer, customisable for each exercise.
- Customise your progression for each exercise.
- Add and save additional notes for each workout, and access previous notes easily.
- Never lose your training data again! Cloud Sync backs up your training log data and restores it across multiple devices.
- Download training log data as CSV (requires account)
- Helpful hints and tutorials help you learn and progress safely.
- How to program the basic exercises into the most effective program for long-term progress.
- Metric (kgs) or Imperials (lbs), and change at any time.
Starting Strength works on iPhone 5 and above. iOS8 and above.
Have any comments, questions or suggestions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fixed issue with progress graphs being stuck on "Loading".
Ratings and Reviews
You really must read the book...soak on it. Figure out your starting weights and then get going. I did weight training in my 20's and I wish I would have had this book. Now I am mid 50's and everything is a struggle...workout recovery, injury recovery, etc. However, if you take it slow, take time to recover, stretch each workout day, reread the book occasionally, then you can set yourself up for a lifetime of greater strength and fitness. This app goes a long way toward helping with the goal. It is easy to use. Look through everything before you start and backup to the cloud weekly.
Update: still a great app for starting out. It does all the thinking...warm up weights and reps, timer, etc. The big drawback is when you are ready to move beyond the novice SS routine, the app is not capable. You cannot increase reps beyond 5 nor sets beyond 3. So if you move to Texas method or H-L-M, then you must find another app. I have found nothing like this one where I set my work set weight and the app fills in warmup, timer, etc. So yes it is a great app, but you will either quit or move beyond novice which means finding another adequate, but less than desirable, app.
Please fix the clock and fix unit conversion!
I recently moved from StrongLifts 5x5 to Starting Strength and I must say this app is great. However, the timer is not working for me on my iPhone X. Either the start button is missing or it resets to 0 and I can’t change it or start it. It’s just a mess. This is one of the reasons I purchased the app to save me opening the stopwatch it on my phone.
Also, I travel around the world a lot. When switching between pounds and kilograms in different gyms it would be really REALLY useful if I can easily switch the units and it converts the units in the history and my current workout. Instead it resets my workout data, but leaves the previous number in lbs and uses it for Kg. Why not just convert what’s there? In fact this alone nearly made me give this app three stars since I have to manually convert it all myself and correct it in the app.
I am curious how fast the developers will respond to this, if they see it, since I’ve had a very good experience with another certain app.
Excellent content, app needs work
I love Starting Strength but this review is for the app itself. I have an iPhone 8 Plus. I use this app every time I go to the gym. I’ve noticed that the timer is finicky and will jump around on you on the screen. The timer also stops sometimes when you switch to the music app momentarily to find your pump up jam to hit those PRs for sets of fahves. When altering your weight in either the past workouts or at the end of the workout there is no enter button or way to collapse the keyboard so it’s just there. In my case I cannot change the warm up set weight in the settings area, only during the actual workout. It sometimes doesn’t keep track of when I have the PC instead of the DL. Unless I’m missing it, I’d like to see intermediate programs added in as opposed to just LP. Maybe add another video reference? Barbell Logic’s videos are short and sweet and provide audio. I will continue to use the app and recommend it since it is a no-brained when calculating warmups and rest times.
- Shabu Pty Ltd
- 62.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © The Aasgaard Company
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.