Nonograms Katana: Sharpen your mind!
Nonograms, also known as Hanjie, Griddlers, Picross, Japanese Crosswords, Japanese Puzzles, Pic-a-Pix, "Paint by numbers" and other names, are picture logic puzzles in which cells in a grid must be colored or left blank according to numbers at the side of the grid to reveal a hidden picture. The numbers are a form of discrete tomography that measures how many unbroken lines of filled-in squares there are in any given row or column. For example, a clue of "4 8 3" would mean there are sets of four, eight, and three filled squares, in that order, with at least one blank square between successive groups.
To solve a puzzle, one needs to determine which cells will be boxes and which will be empty. Determining which cells are to be left empty (called spaces) is as important as determining which to fill (called boxes). Later in the solving process, the spaces help determine where a clue (continuing block of boxes and a number in the legend) may spread. Solvers usually use a dot or a cross to mark cells they are certain are spaces.
It is also important never to guess. Only cells that can be determined by logic should be filled. If guessing, a single error can spread over the entire field and completely ruin the solution.
- 1001 nonograms
- All puzzles are free
- All puzzles tested by computer program and have unique logical solution
- Nonograms sorted by groups from 5x5 to 50x50
- Black-and-white and colored
- Create and share your own puzzles
- Download puzzles sent by other users
- Use both crosses and dots to mark cells
- Auto cross out numbers
- Auto fill line with 'X' when you mark last number
- Auto save every puzzle, if you stuck you can try another puzzle and come back later
- Customizable background
- Zoom and smooth scrolling
- Lockable number bars
- Lock current puzzle state, check assumptions
- Optional cursor for accurate picking
- Save game progress to the cloud
- Screen rotation support
- Tablet support
- No Ads
- Show Answer
- 5 extra hints per puzzle
- Sync progress with our own server
- Fading out lines with completely crossed out numbers (optional)
- Long tap anywhere on the game screen to hide coordinates
- Apple Pencil double tap support
Ratings and Reviews
As of tonight everything seems to be working again. This is my favorite game. I lay in bed and play it for hours pretty much every night while I try to wind down to go to sleep. I love that users can submit new puzzles as those are the most fun. Highly recommend it!
It seems they may have stopped supporting this app as the servers seem to be down and the website for the developer also throws a ‘server not responding’ error. I hope this is wrong as I would love to come back and update my review. This was my favorite app prior to the issues.
One of my favorite game, but the newest version has a bug
I love nonograms and this has the best interface I've ever used. And the free user generated content is awesome. However I would like to point out that, when I sort by author, it doesn't order by author alphabet any more; in fact by author and by date produce the same order. This is only happening in the newest update and I think it's a bug. Please fix the bug, thanks a lot!
Love it BUT
I love this app I’ve had it for over a year, but it’s not working lately. I haven’t been able to open any new puzzles in a few days. Deleted and re-downloaded and it’s still not downloading the information, so now I have zero puzzles available because it’s not connecting. I’ve never had this issue before. Tried at work and home, wifi and data. Nothing is working.
- Alexander Leontyev
- 34.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2014 Alexander Leontyev
- In-App Purchases
- VIP version $2.99
- 200 Hints $1.99
- 80 Hints $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.