Klimper - explore, improvise, compose
By Tobias Suellhoefer
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Klimper is an assistive compositing tool enabling both beginners and pros to explore a large variety of chords and scales as well as to discover and compose beautiful chord sequences easily
*** Magnifica! My fav app for composition ***
*** Such a lovely app. Inspiring and simple to use *** - ipadloops.com
*** Really great app! I bought straight away with no hesitation and already I have come up with many ideas! ***
# Discover suitable and related Chords "on the fly"
When playing melodies, Klimper highlights suitable chords based on the interval that sounded last, so you can instantly discover various possible harmonizations and progressions.
When playing chords or intervals, Klimper highlights related chords. You can intuitively control the desired degree of relationship simply by varying the played subsets of the original chord's intervals. This also enables you to explicitly specify the notes that you want to focus on when searching for the next chord for your progression.
# Explore Chords available in a given Scale
Klimper shows chords that are available in a selected scale sorted by complexity.
# Improvise on Scales and Chords
Scales and chords are shown as markings on the keyboard, enabling you to improvise fluently even on complex chords and scales you don't have internalized yet.
# Search for Scales
Find scales by selecting a set of notes directly on the keyboard. This is great when you're looking for a modulation that sustains your melodic leitmotif!
# Create your own Chord Progressions
While exploring and improvising, just drag and drop chords you like to create chord progressions.
# Store and share your Ideas
Save your ideas for later use or send it to other musicians by e-mail
MIDI-Out is available as an In-App-Purchase.
What's New in Version 1.0.5
- fixed: sometimes chords did not play when using the keyboard simultaneously
- fixed: chord playback settings are now persistent
- chord note markings are positioned based on the selected scale
Just the right chord.
This is a wonderful tool for finding just the right chord or discovering new chords. But it is not without a few shortcomings. There is no in app help, so you have to seek out the app's website. Not a big problem. Its MIDI out is very limited, I had hoped to link it to Notion on my iPad or to Reason on my PC... no luck with either of them. At this point it has no means of exporting the chord progressions you create. It would be helpful to see what the chord would look like on the staff, maybe future updates will address these shortcomings and have more features for integration with other apps. But for the price and the ease of use, I think this app is off to a good start.
Super Excellent Tool
I've been looking for an app like this for a long time. I'm a noob musician (3 years of toying with music apps) and I'm absolutely abysmal with chords and I can't play a piano to save my life. With the midi out IAP, this app is amazing.
A couple of suggestions:
1. The velocity setting for the chords is inside a menu, but it feels like it should either be visible on the main screen or somehow integrated into where you tap the chord. The octave setting should also be easily accessible from the main screen.
2. When you drag a chord to the idea space, the program remembers what octave that chord is associated with, but there isn't a visual clue to tell you which octave that is.
1. If you are outputting the chords to midi and you try to invert a chord in the idea space upwards as far as you can, the app will crash.
2. In either midi or in-app mode, inverting a chord in the idea space as low as you can go will cause the chord to be "stuck" on that inversion. In other words, you will no longer be able to change the inversion on that chord.
Has potential but still needs work
This app is good for finding chords that work well with other cords and structuring music. It's also handy for seeing the relationship between scales and chords. However the midi implementation out to other apps which is an in app purchase does not work. I've tried to run this to Korg Gadget as well as other apps. It shows up, but does not work at all. I'm hoping future revisions fix this. Additionally there really is no manual or other kind of support for you to actually learn how to use it. You're left on your own. That needs to change. Lastly it is a beautiful app visually, if the rest of the suggestions above are implemented this is a five-star app
- Category: Music
- Updated: Feb 24, 2016
- Version: 1.0.5
- Size: 18.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tobias Suellhoefer
- © 2016 Tobias Suellhoefer Software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- MIDI Out$1.99