Music Practice Log is essential for musicians of all levels who want to track their musical practice.
Create lists all your scales, arpeggios, pieces and exercises and use them to create practice sessions. See stats on how long you practice across days, weeks, months and years.
Track multiple instruments:
* Each instrument has its own list of categories and practice items
* Practice items can be added and organised into categories such as scales and arpeggios
* Add practice notes to each practice item
* Set a skill level for each practice item and update it as you progress
Create practice sessions that help you focus:
* Random and custom practice options with the ability to save multiple sets of options for reuse
* Sessions are timed
* Built in metronome which remembers your tempo selection for each practice item
* Manually log a practice by logging time against practice items
* See the time you’ve spent practicing across days, weeks, months and years
* Change the colour scheme
* If you are an iCloud user, all data is backed up
**Please note that this app doesn't play any scales or arpeggios, it is designed as a tool to help musicians manage their practice time.**
Updates are planned regularly based on your feedback. Please do get in touch if you have any suggestions for additions that you would like to see within this app.
This version fixes a crash that could occur when adding notes to a practice item.
When creating a new practice you can save it just by giving it a name, no need to tap start.
Ratings and Reviews
Missing crucial element
I'll change it to 5 stars if a feature that allows you to manually input your practice time is added.
Hi Fred23.2, thank you for using Practice Makes Perfect and for your feedback. As of version 1.7 you can now manually input practices to your instrument. I hope you find this feature useful. If you have any other suggestions, or issues, please contact by email, which you can do by going into the Settings and tapping Contact. Thanks, Gary
Simple and on point - perfect
This app is perfect to put some structure in your practice. It has very simple interface and easy to use. Workflow it creates is just amazing - you start a practice session, choose what you want to work on and you are good to go! People who don’t like it just don’t know what they want or what this app is for. I would pay $10 for it without second thought.
Few suggestions to developer:
- When starting a practice session, app hijacks sound (i.e. Music pauses). Likely because of metronome. I think this is unacceptable - what if I want to play along?
- I would like have option to remove metronome from timer screen, it’s distracting with its [play] button.
- Capitalization of first letters in item names is annoying, have to tap shift before each word
- Need option to export practice log. JSON, XML or any other easy to parse format will work.
- I would like to be able to order practice items manually, same as categories and subcategories.
- When choosing items for practice, allow to check several items in the same subcategory. Otherwise I have to drill down inside the same subcategory 10 times if I want to select 10 items.
- Would be nice to have “expected duration” for each practice item, so app beeps or changes UI background color or something (will not hear beep when playing, music is too loud, same reason why metronome is useless). Or just make item’s notes be visible, so I can put expected duration there.
- It would be nice to be able to go back in your practice. I noticed that I’m tapping Next instead of Start a lot and there is no way of going back. Would be useful to just be able to work extra time on some previous items when necessary. After some more time with the app, this is super important. Maybe allow to swipe left-right to go back and forward?
Thanks for the app, keep it up!
Thank you very much for your kind review! I'm really happy to hear you enjoy using the app while practicing and that it helps you bring structure to your practice time.
Thanks also for your suggestions, I will certainly consider them for future updates. I wanted to let you know that in the next version, any new practice that you create and name will be saved automatically without the need to tap the start button. Also, the crash you mentioned will be fixed as well.
If you would like to provide any other suggestions please feel free to email me via the contact button within the app settings.
Doesn’t work on iPad
Can’t get this to work at all on my sons iPad
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems when using an iPad. If you'd like to contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know what the issue is, I can look into it for you. Thanks, Gary
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.