By Maciej Konieczny
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Glitchy Checkers is a futuristic checkers/draughts game. You can play it with a friend on the same device or alone against artificial intelligence.
I started working on this game by asking myself a question: "what would checkers look like if they played it in a science-fiction movie?". Because of this Glitchy Checkers has a unique look and behavior: pieces shatter and explode when you capture them, glitches appear when pieces become kings, squares flicker to show possible moves, etc.
The game behaves like a toy and doesn't explain the rules but teaches them through interaction. Glitchy Checkers uses Russian draughts' rules with one small but important modification: there's a time limit. You have to make a move within ten seconds. Otherwise one of your pieces will explode and you'll lose a turn. This makes the game more tense, especially when you play with friends, but it also allows for interesting tactical decisions. For example, you might choose to wait for the time limit to hit in order to lose one piece instead of making a mandatory jump that would put you in a much worse position. You can use limitations to your advantage but you have to think fast.
When working on Glitchy Checkers, I wanted to create something digital and delightful. I hope you like it.
— Maciej Konieczny
What's New in Version 2.0.0
Version 2.0 is a big release:
• I added iPhone support, which required a new touch-handling system. Glitchy Checkers is now an universal app and it works well on screens of all sizes.
• Playing with friends is great but now you can also play alone thanks to the artificial intelligence that I added. It adapts to how well you play, so it should be a worthy opponent.
• To make the game more exciting, I added a time limit. You have to make a move within ten seconds. Otherwise one of your pieces will explode and you'll lose a turn.
• I added a new menu and had the game translated to Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Polish.
• I also made many small tweaks and improvements to animation, sound, physics, performance… I've even found and fixed an obscure bug in rules related to becoming a king during a capture sequence.
This is a big release and I feel that the game is complete now. Thank you for playing it.
— Maciej Konieczny
- Category: Games
- Updated: Feb 16, 2017
- Version: 2.0.0
- Size: 23.2 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese, Polish, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Maciej Konieczny
- © 2017 Maciej Konieczny
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.